We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Rarotongan beach resort

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
35 reviews
23 helpful votes
Staying at Rarotongan beach resort

Hello, we are staying at the rarotongan beach resort shortly. Are there any other restaurants within walking distance? Also is it fairly easy to get around the island to eat at a different place every night if we wanted to. We don't want the hassle of hiring a car, so it would be a bus. Also my husband is a mad keen fisherman. Can he fish anywhere close by? We were thinking of bringing wine over with us, do they have BYO? Thanks everyone for any input. All comments good and bad appreciated.

4 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
268 reviews
558 helpful votes
1. Re: Staying at Rarotongan beach resort

Hi

There is one restaurant within walking distance of the Rarotongan - the Kaena. It has been there for as long as I can remember (a very long time) but it rarely has reviews nowadays so I don't know how good it is.

The daily bus service is excellent, but the night bus only goes in a clockwise direction so you have to pick which restaurant you're going to so you can get back easily. As an example, you could go into town on the clockwise bus - eat at Bamboo Jacks or Trader Jacks, for example, and then get the clockwise bus back from town. There are, of course, other possibilities but you have to think about it.

http://www.busaboutraro.com/trips.php

Yes, some restaurants do allow byo - corkage varies but is usually at least $10. You are allowed to bring in 2 litres of wine OR spirits per person, but obviously you'd have to pack it in your checked-in baggage because of liquid restrictions nowadays. There are duty free shops at Rarotonga airport which sell wine but the choice is not huge and the savings on duty free wine are never great.

There is a good selection of wines available on Raro.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,775 posts
135 reviews
241 helpful votes
2. Re: Staying at Rarotongan beach resort

Personally I would not bother brining wine as there is lots to choose from in Raro. Also be aware if you are flying to the Cook Islands via New Zealand - even as a transit passage you cannot have duty free alcohol carry on board from Australia with you - you will loose it due to the liquid restrictions. You can though buy duty free in NZ to take or once you arrive in the CI's

Regards

Suzi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
35 reviews
23 helpful votes
3. Re: Staying at Rarotongan beach resort

Thank you, you were very helpful nzlilibet

Edited: 9 years ago
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
35 reviews
23 helpful votes
4. Re: Staying at Rarotongan beach resort

Thanks Suzi, we are flying on the direct flight to Rarotonga from Sydney. Just not sure if we can buy wine duty free in Sydney and take it with us. Most posts I read say how expensive the wine is and not much choice. I just don't remember if once you get through security at Sydney airport whether you can buy the wine at the duty free shops.

Reply to: Staying at Rarotongan beach resort
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aroa Beach
More Aroa Beach Topics
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.