We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach fishing

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
194 posts
30 reviews
23 helpful votes
Beach fishing

Hi can you do any beach fishing around aroa beach. Not planning on eating. Purely catch and release. Thanks.

3 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
89 reviews
167 helpful votes
1. Re: Beach fishing

Hi tinrub, although this sounds like a simple request, it is actually quite complicated on Rarotonga. The island is divided into 3 Vaka (which actually means canoe), 5 Districts and 54 Tapere or sub-districts. The whole island is divided like a piece of pie, so that each Tapere has access to highland timber, lowland crop land and lagoon for fishing out to the reef.

The lagoon also has Ra'ui, which are conservation areas. I would not throw in a line unless you have permission from an elder.

It is probably easier to get your fishing fix with a deep sea operator.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
194 posts
30 reviews
23 helpful votes
2. Re: Beach fishing

Thanks heaps sydneysiderworldtour. That's helpful advise. Can you possibly answer another question for me please? Can you exchange Aussie dollars for Cook island dollars anywhere in Sydney. Tried a few places today and no luck...they don't deal in Cook island dollars. Do we have to wait until we get to the Cook Islands. Thanks heaps.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
194 posts
30 reviews
23 helpful votes
3. Re: Beach fishing

Disregard the question about Cook island dollars. Not sure why I thought that was all I could use.

Reply to: Beach fishing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aroa Beach
More Aroa Beach Topics
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.