We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking along beach between resorts and temperature in Oct

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
5 helpful votes
Walking along beach between resorts and temperature in Oct

Can you walk along the beach between Aroa Beachside Inn and Edgewater resort and is it safe to do on your own? If not, can you safely walk on the road between the two.

Also, what weather/temperature can I expect in mid October?

Thanks very much.

7 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,726 posts
133 reviews
82 helpful votes
1. Re: Walking along beach between resorts and temperature in Oct

Kia Orana Namewhatname, welcome to the Cook Islands forum.

You can see how you go so far as tides go on that day. There is a tricky spot around Arorangi jetty where there isn't much shoreline. But you can always get onto the road in places where you are prevented from continuing. The verge of the road is quite safe to walk along. Lots of people do this, particularly along the centre of the village where there is a dedicated but unpaved space for pedestrians. If you are planning on going out at night, take a torch with you and face oncoming traffic for safety.

Mid October sees temps beginning to warm up after winter. Nice time of year, since there is low humidity on average and its not really hot as yet. So far as the weather pattern goes, we have been affected by El Nino conditions over recent years. There seems to be more rain in winter at present, and less rain over summer. A change to what we are used to from past years!

Expect a little of everything in October - sun, rain, cool days, warm nights, wind/no wind, calm or rough seas. Best to go with the flow once you arrive. Bring a light shower jacket for walking, or if you are riding a scooter.

Al the best for your stay and island explorations. Kia manuia.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Walking along beach between resorts and temperature in Oct

Thank you very much. I'm really looking forward to my visit. We are coming for a wedding with family and friends scattered around various hotels.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
25,216 posts
728 reviews
511 helpful votes
3. Re: Walking along beach between resorts and temperature in Oct

expect dogs along the way to follow you. some friendly, and some no so. We took a dog repeller with us for safety and only needed it once when a group of dogs exhibited territorial behaviour and got quite agressive.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
88 reviews
103 helpful votes
4. Re: Walking along beach between resorts and temperature in Oct

The answer is yes, you can walk the entire way along the beach - i have done this in stages at various times. I have a general fear of dogs but never had an issue in Rarotonga on the beach or road. I found the dogs were not interested in me, just other dogs! I would recommend though that you split the walk between the road and beach - easy enough to walk up through a resort onto the road, I did this a few times.

I wouldn't do this walk at night though and make sure you wear good footwear as there is sometimes glass on the beach (I certainly noticed a bit when out walking).

Also consider the bus - if you get a 10 trip concession fare, it works out to $3 a ride and you can stop the bus at any time to get on and it goes directly through to the reception area of the Edgewater Resort.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,726 posts
133 reviews
82 helpful votes
5. Re: Walking along beach between resorts and temperature in Oct

After 4:30pm the bus is only the clockwise route. If you are going home from the Edgewater after this time you need to take a clockwise route into town, and stay on the bus for the start of the next circuit. Simple to do. As mentioned all buses drive through the Atrium at the Edgewater, which is handy when it rains.

I'm sure you'll all have a grand visit as a group. Have a wonderful wedding celebration!

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Walking along beach between resorts and temperature in Oct

Nzp0ppy just wondering what is a dog repeller and where can we get one?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
88 reviews
103 helpful votes
7. Re: Walking along beach between resorts and temperature in Oct

I'm pretty scared of dogs and was very worried about my first trip to Rarotonga but even I was fine!! The dogs really don't care about you, they are very friendly. I walked frequently along the beach with no problem (and along the road).

Reply to: Walking along beach between resorts and temperature in Oct
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aroa Beach
More Aroa Beach Topics
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.