We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maillouhana Cancelled Our Vacation & Vow Renewal

New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Maillouhana Cancelled Our Vacation & Vow Renewal

Our 20th anniversay is on August first. We planned a trip to Maillouhana to renew our vows. We splurged for first class airfare (with non refundable air miles) and arranged for hotels in St. Martin for a few night before Malli and after it.

Today I got an email saying that they were really sorry, but the hotel was being closed for major rennovations and they were cancelling our reservation. I find it difficult to believe that they didn't know a major rennovation was about to occur when they took our deposits for the wedding and for accomodations, a month ago. But the bottom line is that I not sure what to do about this. They are telling us that they will "try" to find us other accommodations (and supposedly offer us a vow renewal of some sort) at the Cuisianart Spa, but I am not sure I want to go to Cuisinart. Furthermore, no details about what we'd be getting as an alternative have been offered yet. It's not just another vacation to laze in the sun, it is a 20th anniversary they have ruined.

I have never been to Cuisnart, although I've been to ANguilla before. I can't make Maillouhana stay open for us, and we've already invested plenty of money into this.

Would you accept Cuisinart as an alternative? Is the food as good? Is it considered on the same level as Malliouhanha?

Glen Mills...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maillouhana Cancelled Our Vacation & Vow Renewal

Me?, I'd be demanding Cap Juluca.

New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maillouhana Cancelled Our Vacation & Vow Renewal

they didn't offer that.....it appears we are stuck with Cuisinart or nothing

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,946 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maillouhana Cancelled Our Vacation & Vow Renewal

No you're not!

I agree with Daffy. I would absolutely insist that a reservation be made STAT with Cap Juluca and I would not take no for a final answer either!!

Knowing CJ as well as I do, having stayed there myself 15 times, I would be surprised to think they would not make some kind of effort to see that your honeymoon is spent in classic style at the resort that most honeymooners love the best. There's a reason for that -- it's the most romantic spot on the island, IMHO!

Cuisinart is a lovely place but much more children and family oriented and you are speaking of summer vacation time.

Good luck!

Ocean County, NJ
Level Contributor
248 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maillouhana Cancelled Our Vacation & Vow Renewal

If you look under the hotels section of this forum, you'll see that Cuisinart is rated higher than either of the hotels you've mentioned. I've looked into it and it looks beautiful...Congrats on your 20th anniversary and try not to stress about your special trip...BTW, flying 1st class is on my bucket list...enjoy!!!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
203 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maillouhana Cancelled Our Vacation & Vow Renewal

My husband and I stayed at Cuisinart a few years ago and honestly, we thought it was just a wonderful place, probably one of the best hotels we've stayed at! Very romantic, beautiful rooms and grounds, good long beach for walking, etc. I would definitely not be upset with this spot as a second choise. We visited Malli and were not as impressed with the beach as we were with Cuisinart's...Of course Cap Juluca is also fabulous but I don't think you can go wrong with either if that helps.

NYC
Level Contributor
276 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Maillouhana Cancelled Our Vacation & Vow Renewal

I agree w/Daffy and Pepper...nicely demand Cap over Cuisinart....

Truly sorry for your trouble...pls let us know outcome!

New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maillouhana Cancelled Our Vacation & Vow Renewal

thanks for all your comments. I definitely do not want to be at a family friendly resort for this special trip. But I have the feeling that we are between a rock and a hard place on this one. They didn't give us any other options. I am supposed to hear back from them tomorrow about our plans. I will ask if they would send us to Cap Juluca, but I'll bet they will ask us for even more money (over the pile we've already prepared to pay).

If I could cancel out the airfare and deposits we made I'd do it right now. Mallilouhana is a very upscale resort, I am just really surprised that they aren't going out of their way to make up for this. But if we are stuck with a bunch of screaming rug rats I will go out of my mind!!! Please tell it's not so!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
203 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maillouhana Cancelled Our Vacation & Vow Renewal

I don't remember any children at Cuisinart when we were there but again this was several years ago so I can't speak for what the hotel clientele is now...

Glen Mills...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maillouhana Cancelled Our Vacation & Vow Renewal

Since Malliouhana can't accommodate you, shouldn't they just be giving you your deposit back?

Why do they get to choose where you will stay?

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Maillouhana Cancelled Our Vacation & Vow Renewal

There will be a TON of families and kids at Cuisinart because August 1 is during Carnival. We were on island last year and went to lunch at Cuisi and couldn't believe the # of kids and the behaviour.

I would insist they book you into CJ or they should return your deposit immediately. How about Sheriva? Or another fabulous villa? Check will Gayle at mycaribbean.com for assistance.

Don't give up.

AXA Beach Bum