We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainbow Airlines - AXA - San Juan

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,526 posts
288 reviews
Save Topic
Rainbow Airlines - AXA - San Juan

I would like to know about Rainbow Air, how does it work when you get to SJU with luggage and another connection?

After customs, do you check in again with your next carrier or are your bags checked all the way through and you just redeposit?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

Ellen

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
489 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainbow Airlines - AXA - San Juan

The Anguilla Air Express (AAE, Rainbow Airlines) rep. meets you immediately as you deplane in San Juan. He'll have a sign with your name and guide you to a seating area where you wait a few minutes while he gets your luggage and takes care of immigration -- you relax while he does the work. Once all passengers (you just might be the only ones) are ready he'll walk you out to the plane for the 55 minute flight to AXA.

It's very helpful to the AAE rep. to quickly spot your luggage off the carousel if you give him a clearly visible means of identification. We use white plastic cards the size of a credit card with two (2) strips of black electrical tape wound around. We have these same cards on our carry-on and when he sees it he knows exactly what he's looking for. You can be creative and make your own card or means of a quick I.D. There are tons of black bags and even more red ones are now being used.

Edited: 20 May 2011, 12:27
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,526 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainbow Airlines - AXA - San Juan

Thanks Steve, is this the procedure when we land in Sju from AXA?

Also, how much time do we need to make our connection from SJU to LAS?

Thanks,

Ellen

Edited: 20 May 2011, 13:02
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
489 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainbow Airlines - AXA - San Juan

The procedure I outlined applies to your arrival in SJU from LAS and are in the process of heading to AXA. On your return trip, when you depart AXA and arrive in SJU for your return flight back home, the AAE rep. will again guide you through the entire process. You will be given your baggage and then head to your respective airline to sign in and check your baggage. AAE makes it easy as pie.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,526 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainbow Airlines - AXA - San Juan

Thanks again Steve, that's just what I was looking for.

Appreciate your time.

Ellen

Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainbow Airlines - AXA - San Juan

I have flown with them on one roundtrip and was satisfied with them and I intend to use them again when the cost/benefit ratio makes sense. BUT last year when we arrived in San Juan (on our way TO Anguilla) we were not met at our arrival gate OR at baggage claim and we had to spend a lot of time meandering through the SJU terminal until we could find their check-in desk. If this happens to you (and it probably won't), just proceed to the far end of the terminal where all of the smaller planes have their desks: Cape Air, Anguilla Air Express, etc. FWIW, we stopped and asked at the airport information desk where we could find AAE, and they had no idea. I then inquired about Rainbow Airlines, and that got us the same response. I even pronounced Anguilla as Ahn-ghee-ah as it's usually pronounced in Puerto Rico but nothin'.

When we finally made it to the check-in desk, nobody apologized for not meeting us. On the upside, however, our flight left a couple of hours ahead of schedule because all of the ticketed passengers were there and ready to go.

I think my experience is clearly an anomaly, and it wasn't really a big deal not to be met at the gate or baggage claim--after all, we're adults and can trust ourselves to find our way. We were just surprised, really, since we were expecting that service and it wasn't delivered.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,526 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainbow Airlines - AXA - San Juan

Thanks Emily.

In April 2012, we are flying in to SXM and will be taking Anguilla Air Services from SXM to AXA.

I want to use my AA miles and my option is to fly out of SJU, so we will just be taking Rainbow from AXA to SJU, my only concern was the transfer of luggage and the connection but Rastefan has addressed that.

Ellen

Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainbow Airlines - AXA - San Juan

We are taking AAE in Dec! Thanks for the tips.

8. Re: Rainbow Airlines - AXA - San Juan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2012, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Anguilla