We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December 2018

San Antonio, Texas
4 posts
December 2018

Hello! I've been and will continue to excitedly read TA forums and articles leading up to our trip in the first week of December. However I wanted to jump into the conversation somehow, and introduce myself (and my wife) as future visitors of the island.

We'll be staying at Sandals.. which I will defend, yet only for so long as I recognize its benefits and drawbacks. For example, my wife has a weak stomach and also tends to stress over too many unknowns while travelling. I, on the other hand, welcome adventure and spontaneity while travelling! But since this will be our honeymoon and our first international trip together, we both agree Sandals is the best choice. Our top priorities on this trip are spending time with each other and relaxing, which means that the majority of our time will be on the Sandals grounds.

However, we will spend at least one full day elsewhere, and I'd love to get some good ideas for quick and easy stops. And if a friendly couple joined us, we might be open to spending more time exploring. I've read about the various beaches and hot spots around TA - I'm interested in sights that are away from crowds (especially kids, sorry not sorry), that are sure to be a good safe time and not too stressful or strenuous. The c/o and seclusion of Eden Beach has us interested. Also maybe some unique spots in the capital. We've even discussed swimming out to the Hawksbill Rock, if its feasible. It certainly looks like a lovely place to have to ourselves.

The aforementioned ideas may be all we end up doing, but I'd love to hear about anything I may be missing in my searches on tripadvisor. There may not be much else to look for, which is fine because then I'll know I did my due diligence! I just like to know all options. Thanks in advance for all replies! :)

Edited: 06 November 2018, 17:41
7 replies to this topic
Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
192 reviews
1. Re: December 2018

You can swim to Hawksbill rock if you are strong swimmers----I wouldn't do it otherwise. Also you need to pick a day when the sea isn't rough, which it often can be on that part of the island. Understand that if something happens, there will be no nearby help.

Do wear reef-walkers or other plastic shoes. It's a bit farther a swim than it looks, so be advised of that. I don't mean to scare you; I've swum out there many times, though it's been quite a while because I am older now, and it also seems like every time I go over to that beach the water is rough. So if you're trying to avoid the strenuous, that may not be a great idea.

You're not gong to find a lot of kids anywhere you go, so no worries about that (and I totally agree with you). And you'll be safe anywhere you go (using the reasonable precautions such as not leaving your wallet lying around).

Since you've been doing a lot of reading on this, you probably know as much as there is to know. Nothing is terribly close to anything else, so I think you should take a day and rent a car......that sounds like it would suit your style better than a taxi-tour, so that if you found a place you particularly like, you could linger.

San Antonio, Texas
4 posts
2. Re: December 2018

Thanks for the reply.

We're both strong swimmers but you're right, we may not feel like getting that much of an aquatic workout. And I have somewhat of a phobia of deep water, which is why I'm staying far away from scuba diving. So swimming out there is kind of getting closer to the deeper areas and I'm worried about that too. Renting a car for a day is in the plans. We aren't sure which day we want to go, otherwise we would have booked one already.

I suppose something we'll be continuing to search for are unique shops that aren't priced for tourists. We're still filling our home, and she wants to find a "cute little shop" to find decor to remember our honeymoon.

Thanks again

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
192 reviews
3. Re: December 2018

Hi Brad,

Well I guess it depends on your definition of "deep". To me the worst bit of swimming out to Hawksbill rock are the shallow bits. There are reefs to swim over, and waves (mostly small and easy to handle) break on them. Overall it's not extremely deep getting out there.

I think you'll find enough privacy on Hawksbill 4th Beach (the c/o one). The loungers (which are not luxurious, just the plastic type) are far enough away from others that I think you'll feel reasonably secluded. It's a gorgeous beach. There is also the option of just going quite far down that beach (a 5 minute walk) and you'll be alone. People on that beach are very respectful of the fact that most people want privacy.

As to shops that suit her search for something uniquely Antiguan, I'm not sure you're going to find anything. There just isn't much to bring back from Antigua....though if anyone else knows of someplace special, I hope they'll chime in. I avoid St John like the plague, so am not the best person to ask.

You won't have any problem getting a car on short notice in December. The longer you rent the less you pay per day.

San Antonio, Texas
4 posts
4. Re: December 2018

Yes hopefully someone is able to give some suggestions for good places to stop and shop. Either way you've been very helpful, thank you cessnapilot for the many details.

San Antonio, Texas
4 posts
5. Re: December 2018

Just to follow up on this, our trip was awesome! We were pretty lazy, only getting off the resort once to go to St Johns and out to Hawksbill. The capital was chaotic, and we decided to just drive through because we stuck out like sore thumbs. Hawksbill was as secluded as everyone has said it is on here! But those waters were rough. Dickenson Bay was so nice and calm and clear. Driving on the opposite side of the road was a fun adjustment! I found myself veering back to the right side when there wasn't traffic, and I'd have to fix myself. We had a fantastic time. I would definitely go back except that there are so many other islands to choose from next time.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
192 reviews
6. Re: December 2018

So glad you loved our beautiful island.

And there are many islands in the Caribbean, but there is no place like Antigua!

sussex
Level Contributor
501 posts
212 reviews
7. Re: December 2018

We love it! been coming for 21 years! Husband has Alzheimer’s so this year first on my own,we used to come for the Winter this year two weeks taking family it’s home from home! Love it!!

Reply to: December 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Antigua