We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbuda - recommendations for how to do it on our own

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
719 posts
58 reviews
Barbuda - recommendations for how to do it on our own

Hello,

We will be in Antigua on Dec 9th for a week. We would like to make our way to Barbuda for a day trip. Usually prefer to explore on our own rather than participate in an organized tour. What do we need to know : how do we get to Barbuda? Cost? Once in Barbuda do we rent a car? Hire a taxi? What do things cost in Barbuda (admission to caves? Bird sanctuary? Food?).

Any tips or suggestions are welcomed.

3 replies to this topic
Dorchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Barbuda - recommendations for how to do it on our own

I would suggest you take great heed of any advice you get from the experts on this forum (not me) and also do your own research. It's my understanding that Barbuda was near demolished by hurricane Irma and almost the entire population were evacuated to Antigua. I think some are slowly going back now but it won't be geared up for tourists properly yet - I wouldn't expect shops and restaurants and I'm not sure you ever hired a car there even before the hurricane.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,848 posts
103 reviews
2. Re: Barbuda - recommendations for how to do it on our own

Rather than repeat things - there's some great info here: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147…

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
192 reviews
3. Re: Barbuda - recommendations for how to do it on our own

I agree with MizGeorge's advice to look at the other thread. But I would also add that even long before the hurricane's devastation, Barbuda was not a "rent a car on one's own and explore" kind of destination. Barbuda is/was a unique place owned in common by its approximately 1400 residents, all of whom are/were descendants of the original settlers. There were (off and on over the years) a place or two to eat in Codrington. Hard to say if there's anything right now. The majority of the population pre-hurricane were fisherman (especially lobster) or farmers.

I also just have to mention that I am a licensed Captain (by the U.S.) and have over 60 years experience sailing, but the crossing to Barbuda can occasionally unsettle anyone's stomach. It's probably just my own bad luck, but I've had some really horrible crossings over there.

Reply to: Barbuda - recommendations for how to do it on our own
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted