We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency in Antigua

Orpington
2 posts
Currency in Antigua

Can anyone tell me weather it is better to take US Dollars or Antiguan Dollars for our holiday trip to Antigua.

Lake District, UK
Level Contributor
851 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Currency in Antigua

Personally, I take Antigua (East Caribbean) Dollars. Although the exchange rate between $EC and $US is supposedly fixed, you'll always get a slightly better price in $EC. For example, the departure tax is $20US or $50 EC, a rate of 2.5, where the official rate should be 2.7. It also seems to me a bit impolite not to use the currency, emphasising you're a tourist, not a local.

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Currency in Antigua

S17O: I agree w/ Steve 100%. I used EC $ almost 100%. The exchange rate (I was always curious to see what it would have been in US$) was all over the place but found many places were higher than the airport's (2.5)..........last year in Dominica it seemed almost everyone used 2.5 ......guess because it is much easier to calculate. But it is much easier in EC & yes, it's a small step to being a "good" (more respectful of local country) tourist plus $$ saved can be put toward more rum or black pineapples.

London, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
3. Re: Currency in Antigua

I second both of the above comments. Enjoy the rum and black pineapples and have a great trip. Antigua is a very special place :-)

Orpington
2 posts
4. Re: Currency in Antigua

Thanks to you all for the info. We will definitely be "good" tourists and take $EC with us.

5. Re: Currency in Antigua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about St. John's