We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are your don't miss trips to do in Antigua?

nh
Level Contributor
247 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What are your don't miss trips to do in Antigua?

What are the best don't miss trips to do in Antigua. We are going the last week in May for our 25th Aniversary. I don't do heights so don't bother with mentioning a canopy tour or a helicopter ride. Other than that I am pretty open. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Antigua, West Indies
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are your don't miss trips to do in Antigua?

Eli's Eco Tour is about as good as it gets. Small groups, great snorkelling, great staff. Check out ww.adventureantigua.com

Treasure Island Cruises does a brandnew "Paradise Island" snorkel trip (no even mentioned on line yet) to Rendezvous Bay with a lobster lunch on Fridays. A bit pricey but well worth the expense......Check out their website: http://www.treasureislandcruises.ag

A visit to Shirley Heights on Saunday afternoon is not to be missed. Great views, fantastic steel band music, a simple but delicious BBQ and strong drinks....

Lits of other stuff to do but these are my favourites. ENJOY

maidstone
Level Contributor
212 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are your don't miss trips to do in Antigua?

I agree Eli's eco tour is a must.

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
93 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are your don't miss trips to do in Antigua?

One of my favorite things to do is rent a car and just explore on my own. A nice little driving trip is from Jolly Harbour to English Harbour via Fig Tree Drive. From Jolly you can hit the southwest beaches, which in my opinion are the best, like Ffryes, Darkwood and Turners. Then drive through Fig Tree Drive and stopping for some fresh produce at a road side vendor around John Hughes -- the area is the most fertile on the island -- or you could explore a pineapple farm as there are a couple around Old Road Village.

There is also Wallings Reservoir/Nature reserve near John Hughes. It was a Victorian era reservoir that supplied water to the surrounding villages. It is now a nature reserve with picnic tables and hiking trails throughout. It's usually empty and very peaceful.

After Fig Tree you'll pass the pink church in Tyrells named Our Lady of Perpetual Help. A little known fact about the church was that in 1998 Father Gerard Critch claimed to be the recipient of Stigmata and after unsuccessful medical treatment on Antigua he was flown to the U.S..

Just after the church, in the village of Tyrells, you may notice an unusual house on your left. The home was built in the shape of a boat's hull and appropriately called "The Boat House". The home owner and builder, Sonny Gore, worked for a British construction firm in St. John's during the 60s and built his home to "suit the land" after it became wedged by the All Saints Road.

Next you'll pass through Liberta, the first free village on Antigua (hence the name). Eventually you will come to English Harbour/Nelson's Dockyard/Falmouth. Lots to do there: walking around, exploring the dockyard and museum, checking out Fort Berkeley, or admiring the yachts docked at Falmouth. Also a nice little beach, Pigeon Beach, and plenty of places to eat. Could also explore Great George Fort behind Falmouth.

Sorry for the length...got carried away a bit.

Hope it helps.

4. Re: What are your don't miss trips to do in Antigua?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 14:21
Get answers to your questions about St. John's
Recent Conversations