We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas 2013 looking for perfect vacation spot

Level Contributor
234 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas 2013 looking for perfect vacation spot

Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year..............

Am thinking of taking our family to Aruba next year for Christmas. I have three adult children ages 31-27. The 31 yr old is married with a 5 and 1 1/2 year old. Was looking for a place the younger children would enjoy. I would consider other places in the Caribbean but know those further north will not be as warm nor will the water be warm enough to swim in (Bahamas and T+C). I have been to Aruba but many years ago. AI would probably be best because there are so many if us. I would love suggestions and as I said, would like suggestions of other Islands as well. We have been to quite a few of the Islands already as well as Mexico and Jamaica several times. Looking for something roughly 2k a piece but not much higher. Thanks for the suggestions!

spartanburg, sc
Level Contributor
625 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas 2013 looking for perfect vacation spot

Nancy, just to be clear - you have 6 adults and 2 small children travelling and it must be over Christmas? A lot of Aruba experts will help you out - have you looked at the Aruba sections to the right about high and low rise areas?

Sounds great; we've been to most islands and IMO, your family will LOVE, LOVE Aruba !

Level Contributor
234 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas 2013 looking for perfect vacation spot

Hi Foxy,

Thank you for your rely. My husband and I went years ago and since it was one of our first trips to an island with little cash, we stayed at the Holiday Inn AI. It was fine for us at the time and the beach was magnificent. I did not see Eagle Beach so am not sure what the difference is except it is less crowded. The crowds do not really bother me. I wanted to find the best bet for both adults and small children. Yes, since we are in New England, we thought it would be nice to go away somewhere warm for Christmas next year and I have time to save some money (hopefully). I find it much easier to speak with people on the forum than reading (which i have done) only because you can get specific questions answered! Thanks again!

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas 2013 looking for perfect vacation spot

Nancy, if your heart is set on AI, you might want to consider the Tamarijn/Divi on Eagle Beach (the children will be free).

Another option would be the Radisson on Palm--they have some nice breakfast/lunch promos.

Does your budget include airfare?

You will get a lot of posters encouraging you to consider renting a timeshare. I've never done that, but that may be your best bet with your budget, especially if the two grand includes airfare.

Level Contributor
234 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas 2013 looking for perfect vacation spot

Yes I know I am reaching with 2k including airfare. I may have to look at other islands. I am considering Puerto Rico since we have never been there and the children would not need passports. Luckily i have a lot of time to plan lol

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,641 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas 2013 looking for perfect vacation spot

I don't necessarily endorse Expedia, but it is a good place to research prices. You will be travelling at the most expensive time of year.

Level Contributor
234 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas 2013 looking for perfect vacation spot

i know :+(. 6 years ago we took the kids to DR Punta Cana and it was about 2k but that was 6 years ago. I know I am probably going to pay more but hoping someone will have a special for early booking at some point..............hoping anyway.............

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas 2013 looking for perfect vacation spot

The trouble is that you're traveling in high season. Your budget is VERY do-able in the summer months. Really, check out some of the timeshares.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas 2013 looking for perfect vacation spot

For all inclusive, someone had mentioned the Tam/Divi and that is a good place to start, kids stay and eat for free. Airfare will chew up a good chunk of your budget. A timeshare rental will save you $ and give you a lot more space than a hotel room. You will also have a kitchen to help keep food/drink costs down.

Edited: 27 December 2012, 14:47
Canada
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas 2013 looking for perfect vacation spot

Hi

nancyinRi

We stay at the Costa Linda on eagle Beach - Timeshare

You can cook your meals and bring a soft cooler for the beach !!

Go to VRBO and Costa Linda Forum for rentals.

Also - we have been to P. Rico 2 times and love it also.

Look into Manchebo beach timeshares - very affordable

We are back in Aruba ( us and our 4 adult kids - babies staying home) in July and have rented from Costa Linda again.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas 2013 looking for perfect vacation spot

Costa Linda is a very nice timeshare with a gorgeous beach.

Manchebo is not a timeshare and is not child friendly or family oriented in any way.