We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach/Ocean comparison to Cancun

bocaratonFL
Level Contributor
204 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beach/Ocean comparison to Cancun

We have never traveled to Aruba, but have been to MX, Cancun/Playa area, Jamaica & Dominican many times. How does the water clarity, color, color of sand, etc compare to cancun?

I understand the conditions may change from time to time, but is it smooth, rough etc. I love the different windex blues of cancun, will we see that in Aruba? Thanks for any help!!!

New York
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach/Ocean comparison to Cancun

My personal favorite beach in Aruba is Eagle beach. It is warm and clean. The sand is soft. Can't compare it to Cancun as I have never been there.

toronto
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach/Ocean comparison to Cancun

cancun - white sand beach, turquoise/aqua clear water with rough waves, gets deep quickly; often cannot swim in water due to waves/undertow

mayan riviera - white sand beach, clear water, many parts with coral/rocky areas that make getting into the water and shallow parts of the water difficult to stand in

aruba (palm/eagle beach) - white sand beach, aqua/crystal clear water, few waves, shallow for a while out. IMHO the best beach among the three

CT
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach/Ocean comparison to Cancun

i mean, you can see a ton of pics on this forum and other forums of the water color in aruba... It's pretty nice!

It's not the same as cancun, but in our experience, the water is MUCH less choppy and swimmable than Cancun.

When we were in Cancun, the red flag was out during our entire stay. The locals said that was kinda normal. The current is just a bit stronger in cancun i believe.

Eagle Beach is great. It's choppy from time to time, but almost always tame enough to swim and play!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach/Ocean comparison to Cancun

I don't think Aruba waters are any where near as nice as Mexico - it is not that georgeous color in my opinon. I guess it depends on where you stay though - we normally stay at Secrets Maroma Beach Resort while in Mexico and Maroma Beach is one of the top 10 beaches in the world so we are spoiled. We have been to Cancun and also Playa Del Carmen and still feel the water is nicer there. We do love Aruba beaches as well but they are not quite as nice. You will not be disappointed, however.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,166 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach/Ocean comparison to Cancun

We've been to the Playa del Carmen/Tulum area about 8 times and have been to Aruba 28 times. Love both beaches but prefer Eagle Beach in Aruba for calm, clear water and white sand.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,545 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach/Ocean comparison to Cancun

Bupropion SR is correct that Maroma beach is probably one of the best beaches we've seen in all our travels through Mexico and the Caribbean. White, cool, soft sand, flat beach, clear, and calm water.

But, I don't think you can really compare the beaches because there is such a long stretch of coastline in Mexico, both sides. The beach/ocean conditons are very different. Some nicer than others.

Also, when you say Cancun, do you mean the hotel zone? If so, that water color is truly one of a kind, but the waves are usually very rough. If you go north or south of the hotel zone, the water color, clarity, and wave action changes significantly depending on the area and the weather conditions.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach/Ocean comparison to Cancun

7x to Cancun and was able to get in the ocean once. Just back from Eagle Beach and we were in the water every day (and able to use a float too!)

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach/Ocean comparison to Cancun

I hate red flags, and those are all we've ever seen in Cancún. Isla Mujeres had great swimming. IMO, Bermuda has the most beautiful water, but Aruba wins hands down on points for color, temp, unlikelihood of getting Maytagged.

n.y.
Level Contributor
957 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach/Ocean comparison to Cancun

Been to both ,water in Aruba is much calmer , usually stay on Palm beach and found water to be clear until the jet skis and boats start traveling back and forth , then the water gets a little cloudy . The beauty of Aruba is that it is out of the hurrican zone and that's important this time of the year . We thought the beaches in Bermuda were very nice , calm water and that pretty blue color . Aruba has nice colored water and that life saving breeze almost all the time .

bocaratonFL
Level Contributor
204 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach/Ocean comparison to Cancun

Thank you everyone, your time/comments are appreciated!