We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do hurricanes affect Aruba?

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
123 reviews
Do hurricanes affect Aruba?

Hurricane Dean is about to reach Jamaica.

Does Aruba suffer any hurricane affects, such as a period of cloudy weather,more rain etc when a hurricane is in the caribbean?

Can I expect good weather when I go in mid September?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,660 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: Do hurricanes affect Aruba?

We go for 2 weeks every year in Sept. The main affects of a hurricane that is out at sea will be a cloudy day or two, waves bigger than usual, and/or the loss of the tradewinds for a few days (it's very hot without the wind.)

New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Do hurricanes affect Aruba?

Amy..have you ever been there during a hurricane in the Caribbean ??? We picked Aruba because we will be there in mid Sept. and want good weather...

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,660 posts
89 reviews
3. Re: Do hurricanes affect Aruba?

Yes, we have been....tradewinds stopped and it was very, very hot for a few days. That was it. We'll be there again next month from Sept. 8-22.

Boston
Level Contributor
207 posts
106 reviews
4. Re: Do hurricanes affect Aruba?

We usually travel to the Caribbean in October, and because of this we usually go to Aruba. I'm not sure if the exact figure, but Aruba has not had that many hurricanes affect it in the past 20 years. It is outside the hurricane belt, every time I have been there the weather has been nothing but perfect and it has always been during hurricane season.

toronto
2 posts
5. Re: Do hurricanes affect Aruba?

How about in August.

Should I get Trip insurance for huricanes if am going to aruba in august?

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,500 posts
55 reviews
6. Re: Do hurricanes affect Aruba?

I would think not. There was once, quite a few years ago when Aruba caught the backlash of Hurricane Lenny, in November, I think. It rained the who week, no sun whatsoever. This is not the norm and has never happed to us again.

usa
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
7. Re: Do hurricanes affect Aruba?

i read this and thought a hurricane was around the islands. what a relief when i realized the posting date

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,500 posts
55 reviews
8. Re: Do hurricanes affect Aruba?

Yes, the person actually searched the threads prior to asking and brought up her question on an older thread because it had the same topic. Great job.

Springfield
Level Contributor
513 posts
9. Re: Do hurricanes affect Aruba?

The last time Aruba was affected by a Hurricane was August of 2007. Yes during these times you can experiance rain, stronger winds, rougher surf etc. You are far more likely to encounter difficulty flying to and from Aruba in the Fall than to experiamce any extreme weather conditions while on Aruba. Personally around the third week in September is one of my favorite times to be in Aruba.

Center Valley...
Level Contributor
907 posts
136 reviews
10. Re: Do hurricanes affect Aruba?

We were in Aruba in September '07 during Hurricane Felix. It didn't hit the island, but swung north.

We lost a morning to the storm, and it was pretty nasty the overnight before. Our resort was pretty flooded. The Manchebo was passing out yellow ponchos so you could venture out without getting drenched. The hotel told us it was the worst storm they had in a while (for what it's worth...who knows if it's actually true).

By 1 or so that afternoon, the storm had cleared. We were back on the beach, though there was a pretty large sand shelf from the storm. We lost our dinner reservation at Passions that night, since they closed because of the storm. Our snorkeling trip got pushed back two days because of the surf.

It wasn't a huge deal. Yes, it did stink to lose a morning on the beach, and I was ticked that we lost our night at Passions, but it was pretty small potatoes compared to what can go wrong on vacation.

We had great weather otherwise in September. In the 80s with a decent trade wind. A few showers/thunderstorms at night, but those were very brief.

Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad
Recent Conversations