We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aruba or Barbados or St Lucia or Antigua!????

UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Aruba or Barbados or St Lucia or Antigua!????

I was after some help please? We are looking to go to the caribbean again next year, we have been to several other caribbean islands, but cant decide between Barbados or Aruba. Has anybody out there been to both and are you able to help us decide? We are 2 families with children aged 13, 12 and two 9 year olds. Is there lots for them to do in Aruba and specifically the Tamarijn resort? Thanks a million

maidstone
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Aruba or Barbados or St Lucia or Antigua!????

I have never been to Barbados but felt i must recommend the Tamarijn in Aruba. We took our 3 children age 16, 13 & 8 and they loved it. The Tam has lots for kids of all ages to do.

Aruba feels very safe & we would love to return.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
9,001 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Aruba or Barbados or St Lucia or Antigua!????

I agree that Tamarijn would be a good choice.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,812 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Aruba or Barbados or St Lucia or Antigua!????

Of the four destinations you list, we found that Aruba is the most family-friendly. And the TAM has a host of seasonal activities to keep that 9-to-13 year old age group of yours happily content.

UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Aruba or Barbados or St Lucia or Antigua!????

Thank you so much for your replies, the people on here are soo friendly. I must admit I am being swayed towards Aruba and the Tam as it has had such good reviews on here. Thank you

FL
Level Contributor
377 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Aruba or Barbados or St Lucia or Antigua!????

We have been to both islands and it would be a toss up to choose which one, both for different reasons. For my idea of a Caribbean feel I would choose Barbados. For the beaches I would choose Aruba. Scenery would go to Barbados, food to Aruba, etc. Best of luck in making your decision and whichever destination you choose, have a great vacation!

MVI
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Aruba or Barbados or St Lucia or Antigua!????

I have been to both Islands a couple of times. I brought my family to Aruba and it was incredible. My wife and I go to Aruba together on Eagle Beach. I don't see how you can go wrong either way really but I Feel the kids wouls get more of a caribbean feeling ib Barbados. If your just looking for convienance and o beuatiful beach got to Aruba. They Wendy's, Dunkin Donuts, McDonald's etc. But to get away from that experience Barabados, They have a kids fast food called Chefette. Anyway, Enjoy!

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,748 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Aruba or Barbados or St Lucia or Antigua!????

St. Lucia is beautiful..we were there for two weeks...not a place we would return..regardless of the beauty of the island...we just saw way too much to make us ever want to return.

I've been looking at Barbados.....it looks wonderful...now they are having a big drug problem...as many islands are facing this.....I want someplace as safe as I can get it.

UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Aruba or Barbados or St Lucia or Antigua!????

Arghh!!! I cant decide now!! I was being swayed to Aruba, but now to Barbados, thing is, we cant seem to find anywhere in Barbados, within our price range with the facilities we are looking for, which is why I started looking at Aruba. Are the beaches in Aruba the same as Barbados, they look it in the brochures, but then you know how they can do the trick photography in these books. The sea looks lovely and clear in Aruba, good for snorkelling?? I'm just going round and round in circles!! We went to Jamaica this year and it was fantastic, and I think we were thoroughly spoilt and so are looking for something like that. We like to try different holiday destinations which is why we are not going back to jamaica again (altho I would!). Thanks again for all the help!!

Florida
Level Contributor
90 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Aruba or Barbados or St Lucia or Antigua!????

Been to Barbados and Antiqua...loved them both. However, IMO Aruba is more kid friendly, especially the Tam. Been 3X and returning in Nov.

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,500 posts
55 reviews
10. Re: Aruba or Barbados or St Lucia or Antigua!????

I have been to Aruba, Barbados, and Antigua. The difference is Barbados and Antigua (and St. Lucia) are British Islands, Aruba is Dutch. Huge difference because of that. Aruba is arrid, dry, not lush and green. Aruba has better consitant weather. Aruba a lot more laid back, not as proper ie: dressing up for dinner.

Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad
Recent Conversations