We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with one full day

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
276 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
What to do with one full day

I'm sure some of you responded to my thread about renting a car. We will be in Aruba from 8am - 11pm on a cruise ship. I have now found a place where I can rent a car for the day and plan to pick up the car around 8:30 - 9:00 am. We will need to be back to the ship around 3pm to shower up for our 5pm dinner reservation.

Where would you go? What would you do? What are your must sees? I'm of course going to research on my own but I love to hear from people that have been since this will be our first time in Aruba. Thanks in advance for the help!

Aruba ATV Tour with Natural Pool Swim
227 reviews
from US$78.00*
Special Offer
Aruba Off-Road Island Tour Including...
255 reviews
from US$106.99*
US$111.78
4x4 Tour and Natural Pool Snorkeling...
136 reviews
from US$89.99*
Special Offer
Aruba Sightseeing Tour by ATV
101 reviews
from US$72.00*
US$80.00
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
78 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with one full day

It depends what you like. You could book an island tour, or take a snorkeling tour. You could spend the day on some of the most amazing beaches and change your dinner plans to eat on the island. Whatever you do, enjoy Aruba, it's amazing!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
276 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with one full day

I'm renting a car. I'm not going to be taking any tours. The entire idea of having the car is to explore on our own. Sorry if that wasn't clear. And my dinner reservations are at Barefoot. But after spending a day getting sweaty we'll be returning to the ship to shower and clean up, then to our dinner on the island.

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with one full day

I would go to Arikok National Park and see some of the sights and coastline. It is wild and beautiful. The only place you can't go with a car is the Natural Pool. You could stop at Eagle Beach and maybe have lunch at Bugaloe, which is on a pier in Palm Beach. A lot of people find Oranjestad too touristy, but I love it and go every year for at least half a day. You will love Barefoot. After dinner, Palm Beach area is fun at nights. Enjoy your day!

Atco, New Jersey
Level Contributor
529 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with one full day

Baby beach and areas hi beach have outdoor showers and bathrooms for a fee. Both beaches nice but totally different and different areas. Shower would get you clean. Get a real shower at end of night. Quick shower then dinner.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with one full day

I love all of Curly's ideas. The only thing I might do instead of going downtown is driving the entire coastline from Palm Beach to the light house. The views and homes are very nice. Plenty of great spots to stop and take pictures along the way. When in doubt, turn towards the water on the drive...it is very pretty. I have done the walk from the Ritz to the light house and back...amazing.

Edited: 21 September 2016, 20:45
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
215 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do with one full day

Aruba is great for exploring and cruising around, it's what we do. I would start by heading up north first, to Eagle Beach and Palm Beach area. There's really not much time to go swimming, so I would spend about 30 minutes by Eagle Beach and get my feet wet and take some photos with the Divi trees. There's some road side parking nearby, across from Amsterdam Manor. From there, I would drive to Palm Beach area. I would probably spend about an hour and a half here. There's a huge parking lot by the police station, nearby Divi Phoenix; that's where we usually park. Once you're parked, walk towards the water and you'll see a board walk starting from Divi Phoenix all the way to Holiday Inn I believe. I took my mom there once and she loved it. You get to see Palm Beach and also the many resort complex such as RIU, Hilton, Hyatt, and etc. You can take lots of pictures here, and this area is pretty much happening during the daytime. Once you hit Holiday Inn, you can either walk towards the street side or just reversed in the Boardwalk. The Palm Beach street side is pretty much dead during the morning or noon hours, everyone is pretty much by the beach area. After Palm Beach you can drive towards the northwest tip of the island and hit the Light House. Nice area for pictures and also drink some coconut from the vendor; probably spend about 15 minutes around the area. At this time, it' should be right around noon time, I would drive back towards Oranjestad. You will more than likely pass by a food truck that only opens during lunch time nearby/across from LaCabana Resort area in Eagle Beach. It's nothing fancy, actually cheap but I really like their food, pretty much meat over rice. It's frequented by many hotel/resort workers. My wife thinks I'm funny, but I totally recommend, make sure to add some spice and sauces and it's heavenly. LOL. From there, you can continue to Arikok National Park and see some of the sights. Make sure to get a map from the rental place but don't be scared if you get lost here and there, it's a small island with plenty of friendly people willing to help. I know this agenda is quite hectic and you might not get back to the ship til around 3:30-4 PM but I think it's a good agenda to see some highlights of the island. Have a great time!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
276 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do with one full day

Thank you all so much for your input.

F/U question...............we also have our own snorkel gear. Is there a spot where we could drive to and snorkel right off the beach? I did some research when we first booked and have some info from other threads where someone recommended Malmok/Boca Catalina/Arashi for snorkeling and another that said Arashi as well. Thoughts?

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do with one full day

All of those areas are great to snorkel. We went to Arashi this year and saw an eel, lots of starfish, and other colourful fish. The snorkel tours usually stop in this area.

9. Re: What to do with one full day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2017, 00:17