We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checked Luggage

Joplin MO
Level Contributor
14 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Checked Luggage

We are leaving in a few days to the Tam and have a question about some items I would like to pack in our checked luggage. Can I safely pack a pocket knife and a cigarette lighter? Also can some one fill us in on the Beach towel hours of pick-up and return. Can you pick them up at night for the following day?

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checked Luggage

You can definately pack a lighter. Not sure about the pocket knife. Towel hut is open 8-6.

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Checked Luggage

Sorry, you asked another question, we normally get towels and keep them over night for the following day.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
15,050 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checked Luggage

Looks like lighters are not allowed in checked luggage except under certain conditions.

tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permi…

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Checked Luggage

Wow, when did that start? Glad I quit smoking a couple years ago.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
15,050 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Checked Luggage

DiviAruba

No idea, they make changes every so often, matches were out, now they are allowed in carry on, the safety kind, limit four.

Hope the OP prints up the current list, would hate to hear he was stopped and had to stand inspection.

We were stopped in Dublin for carrying a nail clipper, one approved by TSA but evidently not so with the Irish. I hated to see it go, it was a good clipper. Maybe the inspector thought so too (lol) and that's why it was taken - who knows, all he talked about while conducting the inspection was his family on Long Island...nice guy...

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Checked Luggage

No need to pack cigarette lighters...you can carry them on. We always pack a little pocket knife as hubby uses it for many things...except one year I had it in my carry on bag with my make up....bye bye knife...I completely forgot to put it in the luggage.

7. Re: Checked Luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2010, 01:21