We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aruba bug bites

Which Palm - Eagle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
202 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Aruba bug bites

We just returned from a 10 day stay at the Radisson. Every morning we walk the beach from the Divi Phoenix to the Marriott and then sit under our palapa the rest of the day. Earlier in the week I noticed I had a few bug bites so I started using insect repellent. Our final morning I woke up fine, we walked the beach and then had to leave at 11:00 am for our flight home. At the airport I was feeling more itchy around my ankles. When I checked my legs and mostly ankles are covered in painful bug bites. We have been to Aruba many times and I have never had this happen before. I didn't notice any mosquitoes and I don't know what sand fleas are like or if Palm Beach has them. Perhaps it is a seasonal thing. I don't know if we've ever been there in September. Has this happened to anyone else?

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,438 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aruba bug bites

I have often gotten bitten by bugs what we call "no see ums" in the early morning, normally when there is no wind.

Often at night, my husband gets bit.

We always bring bug repellant.

West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
149 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aruba bug bites

We stay on Eagle Beach every April and never had a problem with bug bites - they may be a seasonal thing or just in Palm beach. We dined at Matthews one night and the flies were horrible, The waiter stood above us with a straw fan the entire entree to shoo them away while we ate. He said they would leave when the sun went down - HE WAS RIGHT. By dessert there were no flies. Next time we will watch the sunset on the beach and then eat our meal

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aruba bug bites

We use a very good, proven in Africa, repellent that contains Three repellents - one is a fly repellent - should repel all biting insects, no-see-ums, Tsetse Flies, even leaches - RID - made in Australia, got ours over the Internet from England.

Tropical Strength RID also contains an Antiseptic to kill a wide range of bacteria, Vitamin E for moisturizing, Chamomile for its soothing relief, and Triclosan (an anti-bacterial/ inflammatory agent).

I hate being bitten!

SafariInfo

http://www.woodsmall.com/

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
440 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aruba bug bites

We also just got back from Aruba and I was fine during the day but at night we constantly used the "OFF" and we still got bit.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aruba bug bites

I have NEVER, EVER been bitten in Aruba and I don't know why. Florida critters just LOVE me. We always travel with Deep Woods Off, and I always end up giving it to a beleaguered British family at check-out.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
440 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aruba bug bites

We also go to Aruba frequently and for some reason this year the mosquitos were very bad - even the bartenders at the Radisson outside bar - were all spraying themselves. Not sure Why. It was only at night.

CT
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aruba bug bites

typically when the wind is mild - the bugs come.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aruba bug bites

It wasn't very windy last week, so that may have something to do with it. I did get a couple of bites on my ankle in the evening (but nothing too terrible).

Milton
Level Contributor
160 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aruba bug bites

I just got back on Sunday and still have bug bites on my legs and feet. I noticed it would start at about 4pm and into the evening. I would always carry Off with me and just spray before 4pm!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
273 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aruba bug bites

we just got back about 1 week ago and were bitten by some sort of bugs. At first , I thought that they could be bug bites but i would check in between the mattress and along the boxspring of our bed in our hotel which is where they hide and didn't find any trace of bedbugs.

I got alot of itchy swollen bites on my lower body especially my ankles. My BF counted around 25+ red/purple swollen bites all over.

We think he got them at the Renaissance private island but who knows. We were also at the Renaissance Ocean Suites lagoon one day and were sitting under a tree and noticed there were +++ bugs and red ants crawling onto our beach lounger, so who knows?

I think I had less bites because I was using Citronella bug spray and he only started to use the spray after he started getting the bites.

Other people we met had also been getting alot of itchy bug bites.

Now, all the bites have gone and all is fine.

Edited: 15 November 2011, 20:19
Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach