We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Place to Ride Scooters

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Safe Place to Ride Scooters

Hi,

My husband and I will be travelling to Bermuda with our two daughters, ages 11 and 14. We are planning to ride buses, taxis and ferries for transportation, but would love a chance to ride scooters in a safe, quiet area. Is there a place we can ride (2 double scooters) where we won't have to contend with cars and traffic? We would love a scenic spot where we could just ride slowly and carefully, and experience the beauty of Bermuda? Thanks so much for your help!!

USA
Level Contributor
27,332 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe Place to Ride Scooters

The answer is a very definite...YES...and...NO

YES...the two, most western sections (approx. 2 miles each) of the BERMUDA RAILWAY TRAIL-- http://www.bermudarailway.net/ --between Mangrove Bay and Somerset Bridge (approx. 2 mi.) and then between Somerset Bridge and Evans Bay (approx. 2 mi.)

NO...you must still ride Bermuda's road to get to these sections.

But I'm not sure how '..crowded..' or '..unsafe..' you think that Bermuda's roads are ?? They are certainly narrower and more winding than many are used to...but outside of the immediate enviorns of downtown Hamilton...and even then mainly around the 'rush hours'...Bermuda's roads are NOT inherently UN-safe.

But if you've that much concern or anxiety for your own and children's safety...**SKIP SCOOTERS**. They aren't for everyone...and simply stick with Bermuda's excellent public transportation system--buses and ferries.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe Place to Ride Scooters

Having the scooters for a day will add a great dimension to your trip.You can avoid the most congested and twisty roads if you rent from the Oleander branch in Southampton( # 7 or 8 bus) and then head west toward Dockyard.. The Railroad Trail from Somerset Bridge west to the end of the trail in Sandys parish is paved and great for scooters. You can avoid the traffic by taking side roads to Somerset Long Bay and Daniels Head. The ride out to Dockyard is mostly flat and should not be too crowded on Saturday (no cruise ships in Dockyard) or Sunday morning (no cruise ship till 11:00 am). On the way, stop for some great vistas at Fort Scaur and at the Heydon Trust property, where there is a sweet little chapel looking out over the Great Sound

baltimore
Level Contributor
606 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe Place to Ride Scooters

In my opinion- No- stick to the Buses.

Bernardsville, New...
Level Contributor
355 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe Place to Ride Scooters

You and your kids will love the scooters. The last time we were there, our girls were 11, 11 and 12 and riding on the scooters was absolutely one of their favorite things to do. It's great to be able to stop and take in the scenery when you feel the urge (and you'll feel it a lot). Avoid rush hour if you're worried about traffic, especially around Hamilton and you should be fine.

Wait until you're in Bermuda and you will be far better able to judge your own comfort level but I highly recommend scooters.

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe Place to Ride Scooters

I would rent scooters only if you feel confident about riding them especially with a passenger on the back. Otherwise, stick with public transportation. Both KDK and valman offer excellent advise and ideas about which way to head....I was going to suggest riding along the South Shore Rd. stopping off the road at the viewing spots to take in the beautiful sights, then continue along S. Shore Rd to you can pick up the rail way trail and continue all the way out to Dock yard. If you stay away from rush hour traffic, the ride should be pleasant and easy. I ride a scooter here at home in NJ, and traffic is never a problem for me, but if you are not a scooter/motorcycle driver, you must have some confidence to do it. Just MHO.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe Place to Ride Scooters

I would urge you to rent your scooters from Mrs. Thomas at Elbow Beach Cycles. I have been riding for well over thirty years and have had the "safety" lecture from just about every concessionaire in Bermuda. Hands down hers is the most thorough and exacting. The testing area is a relatively large one free of traffic and she will ride with you to assure herself that you can safely operate a scooter in Bermuda.

Scooters are not for everyone, but they sure do add a great dimension to seeing Bermuda you just can't find any other way! If you don't feel confident and comfortable, give them a pass. Take the bus.

Have a great time in Bermuda!

CT
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe Place to Ride Scooters

We always rent scooters and will do so again on our July cruise to Bermuda. You just need to be very careful and remember they drive on the left!!!

The best part about the scooters is that you get to see so much more of Bermuda!! The scenery is breathtaking! We found little beaches, stopped at little stores, etc., that we would have never seen... It is great. I can't wait! Just be careful!

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe Place to Ride Scooters

"I would urge you to rent your scooters from Mrs. Thomas at Elbow Beach Cycles. I have been riding for well over thirty years and have had the "safety" lecture from just about every concessionaire in Bermuda. Hands down hers is the most thorough and exacting. The testing area is a relatively large one free of traffic and she will ride with you to assure herself that you can safely operate a scooter in Bermuda."

Indeed - elbowbeachcycles.com/bermuda-scooter-acciden…

New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe Place to Ride Scooters

I agree--I have been riding the scooters for many years, and I have seen a few accidents---and one was my husbands--thankfully he was stopped,he

signaled to turn right and as he turned a dumb young honeymooner pasted him on the right and they collided--the bikes rolled together as I watched his head bounce on the black top--yeah helmets!! No one was hurt--amazing----

the woman's husband started screaming and yelling at her. We then went off to Henry's for a few Bloody Marys. So we still rent scooters, we do not drive them at night, and the traffic, trucks and drivers on the island have made it more dangerous---we rent from Oleander and Mrs. Thomas, she is the one to teach you how to ride and like the other posters I urge you to use

her service..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe Place to Ride Scooters

Should you rent a scooter be sure to wear proper shoes and not flip flops or sandals. If you need to stop quickly or you need to put your foot down those flimsy pieces of footwear will offer no protection. We always toss a pair of sandals in the basket and change into them upon arriving at our destination.