We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time visitors few questions

philadelphia
Level Contributor
33 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
first time visitors few questions

Hi, My husband and I will be arriving in 2 weeks for the first time. Staying at Fairmont Southampton. I am reading that alot of restaurauts are resort casual. Is it really necessary for my husband to bring a sport coat or will slacks and shirt be fine for most ? We do plan on eating away from the hotel also.

We are planning to rent a scooter for a day or 2. Do they provide maps at rental?

Lastly, I've heard about festivals or something on certain days or nights? Anyone have info?

Thanks so much for any info.

USA
Level Contributor
28,049 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time visitors few questions

>>>...restaurauts are resort casual. Is it really necessary for my husband to bring a sport coat or will slacks and shirt be fine for most ?...<<<

The most onerous '..dress code..' for ANY Bermuda restaurant or dining room is no more than '..Smart / Resort Casual..' (more's the pity). What this translates to in practice is long pants and a collared shirt...but...no gentleman will feel the least bit over-dressed or out of place at any of Bermuda's better restaurant wearing a sports coat or blazer.

>>>...We are planning to rent a scooter for a day or 2. Do they provide maps at rental?...<<<

Every motor scooter rental livery will provide you with the free, cleverly designed, '..BERMUDA--Handy Reference Map..'. In addition to this, these same pocket-sized, folding maps are FREE and readily and widely available for a great many sources throughout Bermuda. This map (and the ability of telling right from left) are pretty much all you need to find your way out 'n about in Bermuda.

BERMUDA--Handy Reference Map--

gotobermuda.com/uploadedFiles/GetHere/MapsAn…

You can also secure a full-sized (approx. 19" x 14") paper copy of this great little map by mail, prior to your visit, by simply requesting one from the Bermuda Dept. of Tourism--1-800-BERMUDA (237-6832)

>>>...I've heard about festivals or something on certain days or nights...<<<

Unfortunately the last, Wednesday evening, HARBOUR NIGHTS '..street festival..' event of the season will be on Wednesday, Sept. 05th this year.

There will still be Monday evening 'street festival' events--DESTINATION DOCKYARD--out at the Royal Naval Dockyard complex, at Bermuda's west-end...and in addition to the Destination Dockyard 'street festival',, there will also be a BEATING of RETREAT ceremony/pageant at Dockyard on Monday evening, Sept. 17th at 7:30 PM

thewestend.bm/2012/…

thewestend.bm/2012/…

You can check some of the date-searchable Calendar of Events web sites for your dates to get a better idea of what may be going on during your visit--

gotobermuda.com/what-to-do/events-calendar/

bermuda.com/things-to-do/calendar-of-events.…

http://www.nothingtodoinbermuda.com/

philadelphia
Level Contributor
33 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time visitors few questions

Thanks so much KDKSAIL. I will call for a map. I'm bummed that we will miss the Harbour Nights festival by a few days. Will definitley check out the Dockyard.

USA
Level Contributor
28,049 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time visitors few questions

The Beating of Retreat ceremony is pretty cool...with the colourfully uniformed, Bermuda Regimental Band and the Bermuda Islands Pipes Band marching, counter-marching and performing.

Edited: 29 August 2012, 14:37
USA
Level Contributor
28,049 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time visitors few questions

Bermuda Regiment Band--

http://pwp.ibl.bm/~bdill/

Bermuda Islands Pipes Band--

http://www.el88.net/4/BIPB/

USA
Level Contributor
28,049 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time visitors few questions

P.S...there are three simple items that you always want to carry in the underseat storage compartment of your scooter--

1--an extra copy of the BERMUDA-Handy Reference Map....in case you lose the one in your pocket or it gets 'trashed' accidentally. It's also worth noting that these fold-ot paper maps also make great emergency '..umbrellas..' if you get caught out during a shower...and great '..table linen..' for impromptu picnics.

2--emergency rain poncho(s)s...of the inexpensive Dollar Store variety. You'll look like a '..bag lady..' wearing one...but they actually work pretty well and will keep you reasonably dry during occasional showers.

3--an old rag or hand towel...to wipe down a scooter saddle after a rain shower and clean/dry rear view mirrors or wipe the 'dew' off of the scooter saddle on humid evenings. A wet backside is seldom a good '..look..' for anyone. The alternative is to carry a 'Depends' in the storage compartment...and that's never a good '..look..' (avoid the heartbreak of VPL.... '..visible panty line..')

Edited: 29 August 2012, 22:57
6. Re: first time visitors few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2013, 05:17