We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in restaurants

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in restaurants

I'd be interested to hear other people's views.

We just came back from Barbados a couple of weeks ago and we ate out at restaurants nearly every night. Restaurant bills include the 17.5% VAT - no problem with that - and either 10% or 12% service charge - no problem with that either. What I did have a problem with was after being presented with the card machine, we were asked if we wanted to add on a tip. We explained that we had left a tip in the form of the 10/12% SC. We were then told that (a) the waiter didn't get it immediately or (b) the waiter only got a small amount of it or it was shared with all the staff.

We left feeling that we had somehow let the waiter down. Eeating out in Barbados is expensive and to be asked to add on yet another tip when sometimes the bill reached BBD$ 200 or more - in one instance nearly BBD$300 for two people - well, we think the staff need to talk to their management.

We are not 'tight' people but just think this is practice is a little over the top. Views?

30 replies to this topic
Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
16,133 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in restaurants

Wait staff are paid minimum wage rates I believe --- the economy is very bad at present --- would be very difficult for a waitstaffer to survive on just the wages and it is common for restaurants to "share" SC among the staff (and that just may also include the owner.....???) -- so unless service was poor -- we would try to leave the waitstaffer a small extra gratuity (we do it in Cash to the person to be sure they get it) --- just OHO

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
6,579 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in restaurants

If a service charge has been applied (a practice we do not agree with) we do not tip on top unless the server was exceptional... and that is rare. I do not appreciate being told via the service charge that I owe them a tip no matter how well they do. My tip would usually have been more than the SC, but that is their loss....

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in restaurants

anothersadowner - when we lived in South Africa and now here in Scotland, we always tip the server in cash so that we know they get it. I take your point about low wages but that is something that the staff and management have to sort out between them and not have their guests leaving feeling rubbish..

NorthernCanuck1 - my view too...

South Wales
Level Contributor
260 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in restaurants

I'm with you in this issue Gemini 16. It's service charge OR tip. Not both. That's taking advantage.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
16,133 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in restaurants

@Gemeni - We certainly don't agree that anyone should be *Asked* for a tip -that's rude and ill mannered - but here in Canada when the bill is presented there is a line for adding a tip if one wishes on the machine and if one is using a credit card --- we don't add tip to the bill on the credit card --- particularly as here there is the option of a percentage tip - which would apply to the bill as a whole and that includes taxes --- a real no no --- so we would pay what is asked and as I mentioned when we are in Barbados we give the server a small cash gratuity...

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
14,458 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping in restaurants

Unfortunately, there are some Hotels and Restaurants who do NOT share the Service Charge with their staff---------------------------------one hotel I know of, actually told the staff that they would not be receiving a share last Winter !!! I too give a CASH tip to a server I believe deserves it .

Wages are very low in Barbados and I believe that is why it is the law that EVERYONE can receive tips if offered, even the staff at Sandals, who have a No Tipping policy on other Islands.

Edited: 01 October 2017, 10:27
West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
5,023 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping in restaurants

Gemini16

Can I ask which restaurant asked you if you wanted to leave an extra tip. It has happened to me before but I cant remember where it was.

To me a service charge is a service charge. I agree that is up to the management of each restaurant as to how they deal with it. I never leave any extra than the service charge.

I don't do it in the UK and I don't do it in Barbados. I am not tight either. Its just something that bugs me when you are expected to compensate for low wages paid to their staff. :(.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
16,133 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping in restaurants

A service charge is an amount that is added to your bill in a restaurant to pay for the work of the person who comes and serves you. Most restaurants add a 10 per cent service charge. (definition) --- to us that doesn't mean we are saying "thank you" for looking after us -- so a small extra acknowledgement says "thank you"

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping in restaurants

Westigal - it is unfair if management treat their staff as you say, as I could see on some occasions - only some - they work hard. However... I am on holiday and have a budget and I don't see why I should be asked to subsidise their wages on top of the SC.

Babiface - it happened a couple of times. Firstly at Castaways (used to be Bellini's) when the cashier - not the waitress - asked my husband whether he wanted to leave a tip and when he said he had already paid 10% SC he said her attitude left a lot to be desired. The second time it happened, it was our waiter at Primo (used to be Pisces I think) who asked when he brought the card machine to the table. I think there is an option on the machine to say yay or nay. My husband said he had left a tip in the form of the SC and that's when the waiter said he only gets a small portion of the SC. We had no extra cash in any case and if we had left a tip on the machine, who's to say the waiter would have got it anyway. It just left a bad taste in our mouths (no pun intended!)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping in restaurants

I am also of the view that it's a service charge or tip, not both.

Reply to: Tipping in restaurants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted