We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed re villas

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
24 reviews
Advice needed re villas

Our family of five will be visiting Barbados next March. The original plan was to stay at Tamarind but the prices jumped so we talked about it and rather than go to a different island, we're going to try a villa. I've spent the better part of two days reviewing different ones on agency sites as well as Homeaway and VRBO. I'm totally confused because listings are doubled up on different sites. I have reached out to a few and people have been very helpful. I'm now torn between two locations:

1. Glitter Bay

2. Mahogany Bay

The kids are between 10 and 16. They love water activities so they'll want to paddle board, kayak, jet ski and try water skiing. Hubbie and I love to laze at the beach and go on day excursions with the kids (probably one water excursion to visit turtles and a land one that will bring us around the island). It'd be nice if there was a place we could buy a drink or two while on the beach. We don't plan to drive so we'll be limited to walking, buses and taxis. I don't plan on cooking. Hubbie may bbq, but not guaranteed. We plan to visit local restaurants for dinner and find something fast on the beach for lunch.

Between these locations, which would you choose?

Thanks!

17 replies to this topic
Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
16,857 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Advice needed re villas

Glitter Bay is in Alleynes beach

Mahogany Bay is on Paynes Bay Beach

I get confused when I don;t know where you are talking about sorry.....

Alleynes Beach is the Best beach on the west coast in IHMO - there are two beach bars Jujus and Santis - and Fairmont Royal Pavilion with its cafe and dining room... Plus the beautiful Lonestar (expensive) restaurant and there will be water sports available and beach chairs for rentals etc.

Paynes Bay is also a nice beach (has had some issues since a recent storm) --- there are a few restaurants in the Paynes Bay area - I posted them for the Tamarind Cove thread, when you were debating staying thjere.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Advice needed re villas

Sorry. I should have specified. I thought the bay was the location :-)

Thank you for the advice on the beaches! Yes, I do have those restaurants on Payne Beach. I was concerned that Alleynes beach would be too far away from the area where the kids could participate in water sports. I also like that Glitter Bay has a pool that we can use if we'd like. That said, the villas on Payne Beach are gorgeous! But we really won't spend much time inside anyway :-)

These are the specific villas I'm considering. Princess Villa is the best for us at Alleynes beach but its for sale. Should that worry me?

Seashell Villa Mahogany Bay - Paynes Beach - https://www.vrbo.com/8057099ha

Fathoms End Villa - Mahogany Bay - Paynes Beach - https:/…l50195

Princess Villa - Glitter Bay - Alleynes Beach - https://www.vrbo.com/489155ha

#409 Glitter Bay - Alleynes Beach - https://www.blueskyluxury.com/Barbados/Holid…

london UK
Level Contributor
992 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Advice needed re villas

This is difficult because they all look absolutely perfect . You have very good taste ! Personally l love Glitter Bay for a family trip, designated sunloungers, beach service, spacious wonderful grounds and facilities.... l could go on, it’s the best beach too.

I am about stay with friends on Payne’s Bay, haven’t stayed there for years but that is a also a lovely spot. Coral Cove, Smugglers Cove the ground floor beachfront apartments might suit you.l don’t know the two villas you mention but l will seek them out when l am there in the next month.

If it was me, and with kids, GB would come first but Then l would stay anywhere beachfront just to be on Barbados. Don’t worry all your choices are great !!

Edited: 20 April 2018, 19:07
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
15,282 posts
74 reviews
4. Re: Advice needed re villas

Glitter Bay, if only for the location near to Holetown, the grounds the condos are set in, and especially the beach and the fact it is well off the road whereas Mahogany Bay Villas are right on the main road.. You would love GB, IMO.

Bathgate, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Advice needed re villas

I'll let you know about the first one on your list after the 13th of July....when we arrive :-)

We chose this villa as it was not part of a complex and has direct access to the beach at the bottom of the garden. Although maybe not much beach at moment....There is also a reef there ideal for keeping our teenage daughter happy snorkelling...

If you youtube 'paynes bay fish market' there is a really cool drone video taken from the beach directly in front of these townhouses..

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Advice needed re villas

Thank you all! Honestly I'm torn between Seashell at Paynes Bay and Glitter Bay. I really like the fact that Seashell is not part of a complex and its right on the beach but I think the kids would like the complex with pool etc. I also like the location of Glitter Bay.

For those that are familiar with Glitter Bay, one on my list is for sale. Would you take a chance on booking a place that is for sale? Is the chance high that a new buyer would rent as well and keep the rental or cancel?

I've also found this one. The price is definitely right but it seems to be the farthest from the beach so possibly closer to the road. What are your thoughts on location? barbadosvillaservices.com/villa/glitter-bay-…

And then there's this one, which blows the budget but is beautiful. https://www.vrbo.com/69859ha

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
677 posts
44 reviews
7. Re: Advice needed re villas

I would definitely go for Glitter Bay, the beachfront setting is just perfect IMO. You have 4 informal settings for lunch within walking distance along the beach, and Lone Star and Cafe Taboras at the Fairmont Royal Pavillion for something more substantial. Water sports are available next door at the Fairmont Beach Club just ask for Ryan he will look after you. At low tide you can walk along the beach in to Holetown about 30-40 minutes or alternatively get a local bus at the top of the drive. Don't worry about the apartment that is furthest from the beach it is still very close and a long way from the road! Plenty of sun beds available no need to get out early to get the best one they are all in good positions! I think you will enjoy the villa experience better than a hotel and Glitter Bay should suit you perfectly.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
293 posts
66 reviews
8. Re: Advice needed re villas

Beware. Your 'blow the budget' details quotes 'private beach' when, of course, on Barbados there is no such thing. All beaches (quite rightly) are open to all (albeit some are more difficult to access than others).

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
15,282 posts
74 reviews
9. Re: Advice needed re villas

Don't worry about the GB condo being for sale---------------many of them have been for some time !

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
24 reviews
10. Re: Advice needed re villas

Thanks all!! Time to start narrowing things down. Glitter Bay seems perfect so its just finalizing which location. There are a few available for our dates ranging from bottom floor to penthouse, furthest from beach to closest to beach.

Reply to: Advice needed re villas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted