We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress Codes?

Hackensack, NJ
Level Contributor
95 posts
25 reviews
Dress Codes?

We have a number of “nicer” restaurants booked for our week (i.e. the Cliffs, Lone Star, etc.) next week and wondered...are long pants/jackets/ties required? I am always dressed to the nines LOL but husband would like to get along as casual as possible. Advice? Thank you! Toes in sand countdown 40 hours...but who’s counting ; )

61 replies to this topic
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4,476 posts
156 reviews
1. Re: Dress Codes?

Jackets, ties not required but would recommend long trousers, closed shoes.

Bathgate, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Dress Codes?

The booking confirmation for The Cliff states dress shorts are fine and I usually dress as casually as possible. However every time I’ve been I’ve worn long trousers.

The Lone Star.... I wear dress shorts and don’t feel uncomfortable

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Dress Codes?

Lonestar, tides, nishi. will accept dress shorts with collar shirt . As do most high end restaurants. Swimwear, denim ,tshirts and flipflops might be a bit tricky.

Edited: 27 April 2018, 02:52
Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Dress Codes?

When we go to Lonestar at night, especially on a Friday or Saturday men are usually in long trousers and shirt, everyone always seems to make an effort to dress up. I always enjoy the fact that they do, makes it seem more special to me. Somewhere like Zaccios would be where my hubby would wear his dress shorts, more casual dining.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
10,261 posts
79 reviews
5. Re: Dress Codes?

It's really quite simple, neat, casual clothes are accepted just about everywhere. I dine in some of the finest restaurants in golf shorts, golf shirt and usually sandals and I've never had a problem. I know of one or two places that require slacks and guess what, I just don't go.

Once off the plane and in our place I do not put any slacks on until I'm going to the airport for the flight home.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
15,336 posts
74 reviews
6. Re: Dress Codes?

Tell your husband that a night out at a special Restaurant is an event , not just any old meal. You say you get dressed up to the nines ? Well if that is the case, tell him from me he is being disrespectful to you if he cannot make an effort.and look smart.

Lightweight long pants stop mosquitoes biting men's ankles so they are not all bad !!

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
6,912 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Dress Codes?

I think there are only two restaurants that will insist on long pants, Tides and Hugo's. I stand to be corrected though. If you avoid them you and your husband will both be happy.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4,476 posts
156 reviews
8. Re: Dress Codes?

I’m with Westie. Mozzies love me which steers me to long trousers 90% of the time when I go out at night. Its also perhaps a cultural thing. I find that people from UK do make more of an effort than our friends from North America. We dont go to the high end restaurants more than 2/3 times in our visits. Its an occasion. I dont spend £2/300 every night in a restaurant so I dont see what the problem with trying to look a little smarter and when spending that sort of money I dont want to sit beside somebody who looks scruffy. Long trousers and a short sleeved shirt isnt too much to ask for. If people turn up with smart shorts and it meets the dress code, fine. The problem is when the shorts are not smart. It just puts the restaurant in an impossible position!

9. Re: Dress Codes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 April 2018, 11:35

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
10,261 posts
79 reviews
10. Re: Dress Codes?

Ah.....but......to each his own, it’s all about a personal choice.

Reply to: Dress Codes?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted