We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should We Bother With Our Snorkel Gear?

Ohio
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Should We Bother With Our Snorkel Gear?

We are headed to Barbados this coming Saturday. We have our Snorkel gear all packed and ready to go, but I am wondering if we should bother with it? We probably won't go out on a snorkel cruise as we like to snorkel from shore. I have read a few past threads and it seems that the beaches are pretty busy with personal watercraft and such. That along with the sewage issue has us concerned that it will be hard to find some decent snorkel spots. We are staying at Ocean Two Resort , but have a car hire for our stay. Anyone have some recent experiences? We hauled our snorkel stuff with us last May to Cancun and never used it, I don't want to do the same this time.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
13 replies to this topic
Laval, Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should We Bother With Our Snorkel Gear?

On the south coast, you will not use it much as the waves are usually too high. All along the west coast though there is some very good snorkling opportunaties directly from the beach. I brought my gear and was glad I did. I used it almost every day while there.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
13,777 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should We Bother With Our Snorkel Gear?

I agree, if you are intending to visit any west coast beaches during your stay, you will kick yourself if you have no snorkeling equipment and it's something you enjoy doing. The opportunities to snorkel on Reefs close to the shore, plus to meet turtles are immense.

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
350 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should We Bother With Our Snorkel Gear?

Yes, suggest you read this

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147…

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should We Bother With Our Snorkel Gear?

pack your gear and head for Folkestone marine park,there you can snorkel right on the reef,i do most times i am on the island,it is an experience you wont regret.

Kent. UK
Level Contributor
764 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should We Bother With Our Snorkel Gear?

Hi Dioxide45, We arrive 5 days after you and the snorkeling gear is already packed!

The West Coast has numerous spots to snorkel from the shore, a search on this forum will give you plenty of ideas. Every chance of bumping into Turtles. Agree a good place to explore first is Folkestone Marine Park.

The nearest location to you for snorkeling will be the wrecks in Carlisle Bay, teeming with fish.

Worth wearing a marker when snorkeling outside of designated swimming only areas.

Mentioned in this post
Carlisle Bay
Carlisle Bay
1,917 Reviews
Barbados
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should We Bother With Our Snorkel Gear?

I personally think it is worth it to bring along, especially if you explore those lovely calm West Coast beaches. Unlike Cancun, I feel like it is pretty easy to pull into a beach and just wade in a snorkel and look around. We usually do one snorkel trip in Mexico, but in Barbados we are in and out of the water with and without Snorkel gear lots. Different water, different beach situation than Cancun. The ocean in Barbados is out of this world. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should We Bother With Our Snorkel Gear?

Its not all rough on South Coast, particularily at Carlisle bay where there are man made reefs - free from the sewage issue. If you have a car nd are really keen snorklers, go for it.

Mentioned in this post
Carlisle Bay
Carlisle Bay
1,917 Reviews
Barbados
Ohio
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Should We Bother With Our Snorkel Gear?

Thanks everyone. We will keep our gear packed.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should We Bother With Our Snorkel Gear?

Last week we snorkeled once at Folkstone & twice in the roped off swim area at Port St Charles. We saw a lot of sea life in both places, including huge schools of blue tang, an octopus, eels and quite a variety of fish. We are avid snorkelers and accustomed to seeing more coral, especially soft corals, in the BVIs & St John, USVI. (Those islands & reefs were devastated by last year's hurricanes.) However, we snorkeled for many hours in Barbados & enjoyed it immensely. On one snorkel, we ventured out of the Port St Charles buoy area going south. Nice coral in several areas (off shore from Heywoods Beach).

We did not snorkel elsewhere on west coast due to jet skis & boat traffic.

I hope this helps & you have an enjoyable trip!

Mentioned in this post
Port St. Charles
Port St. Charles
179 Reviews
Barbados
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should We Bother With Our Snorkel Gear?

sorry this rely might be too late but you don’t need your snorkeling gear cause the island all the way up the east coast is invaded with seaweed.

Reply to: Should We Bother With Our Snorkel Gear?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted