We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Barbados???? and Anguilla what happened??

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals Barbados???? and Anguilla what happened??

Hi , Hubbie & I have been traveling to the caribbean with Sandals for years and now we are getting a little ancy ...wishing to travel to new destinations..anyway in out research for different locations ..other than Jamaica, Bahamas, Antigua, & St Lucia, we discovered that back in 1994-1995 Sandals purchased property in Barbados and was slated to open in april 1995...what happened? can anyone say...we do know that the Barbados prime minister dismissed incentives for sandals resort was this enought to scrap the entire opening of a resort ? There is also rumors that Sandals is a property owner in Anguilla what going on with that...please dont tell me to contact sandals ...there people know less than we do ....any insight or info would be very much appreciated..we are about to make our 7th trip this year and before booking St. Lucian Grand we would like to see if there is anything on the horizone for a new location. Thanks for your help

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Barbados???? and Anguilla what happened??

I think it's something to do with private beaches... All Sandals resorts have a private beach, and all beaches in Barbados are (offically) public.

If you like the look of Barbados maybe consider staying with another type of hotel?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Barbados???? and Anguilla what happened??

If the people at Sandals can't help then probably not much can be done by TA people. You're talking ancient history 1994-1995.

Best of Luck

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Barbados???? and Anguilla what happened??

The property in Barbados was the old Paradise Beach hotel originally owned by Cunard. Sandals actually wanted to buy the Cunard La Toc in St. Lucia and Cunard would only let it go if Paradise Beach Barbados went with it. You are correct that the Government here would not allow them to privatize the beach and the property stood falling into disrepair until about 18 months ago. It is now being developed into a new Four Seasons Resort.

I don't know of anything going on in Anguilla to be honest and the company I currently work for works quite closely with Anguilla.

There are several all inclusives in Barbados however the island is not really geared so much to all-inclusive as some of the other islands are.

Sandals Grande is very nice by the way.

Sarah

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Barbados???? and Anguilla what happened??

Just as LittleMissRed said, it was because of the private/public beaches problems. Sandals want their hotels on private beaches, and they are all public in Barbados. Our Sandals Rep came in the office the other day and I asked this exact question and that was the answer she gave me. I think she said they are just going to concentrate on the properties they have - modernize them (get rid of the garish decor they have).

Have you tried couples resorts? They are couples only and they have properties in Mexico.

camberley uk
Level Contributor
229 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Barbados???? and Anguilla what happened??

Sandals Antigua is on a public beach.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Barbados???? and Anguilla what happened??

Yes I think sandals are more relaxed about that now however back in the early 90's it was a major thing in Barbados. Sandals Halcyon in St. Lucia is also on a public Beach although only sharing with one other very small hotel.

Sarah

United States
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Barbados???? and Anguilla what happened??

All the beaches on St. Lucia are public, as well.

Guildford
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Barbados???? and Anguilla what happened??

Hi all and Happy New Year,

I just wanted to balance any positive comments on Sandals by saying that their Butlinesque product didn't suit me at all.

I don't think Barbados is missing out through their absence!

E.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals Barbados???? and Anguilla what happened??

yes St. Lucia beaches are all public however where Sandals Regency is located makes the beach "Sandals only, at the Halcyon there is only Villa Beach Cottages next door, and Sandals Grande does not encourage other people to come onto their area as far as I can see.

I agree that Barbados does not need a Sandals.

Sarah

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals Barbados???? and Anguilla what happened??

Thank you all very much for your informative and helpfull responses..Hubby loves Sandals AI, I would however like to venture out to other islands and resorts, which is why we were wondering about runors we heard that Sandals would be building on different island locations..at least now we can put it to rest and concentrate more on where we should go next. Thank you all! :)