We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why the airfare is so expensive?

london
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Why the airfare is so expensive?

I'm not english, but living in uk for a long time,

and not an expert economist, but this question is on my mind since i've ever visited barbados for the first time: why the airfare from uk (ba, virgin) to barbados cost much more than the similar distance fare like usa east cost or south africa??

Of course there is much more other carrier to those above mentioned destinations, but still would prefer to spend my money on the local barbados bussineses (restaurants and bars especially :)) than just on the ticket..

Or is it the way the wealthy english people protect this carribean paradise for themselfs? haha

I do apologize if my point of view has been found

anyhow offensive to the english people :)

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Why the airfare is so expensive?

Singlevera you might find this article interesting barbadosadvocate.com/todayspaper/default.asp

Its a great point you make also the difference in airfare prices when comparing Barbados to other Caribbean Islands has always been huge. I would like to think that with the current economical climate airfare prices to BIM will drop a little. Despite that we are still the Caribbeans most revisited destination so its not all bad I guess!

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why the airfare is so expensive?

well I know a lot of the airfar is made up of taxes at least a third probably more...taxes from Barbados are high but they are nearly as high out of the UK - that's the main problem. It's the same when you go on LIAT to St. Lucia from Barbados. They (LIAT) have recently been offering a special fare of US $30-40 eachway - should come to US $60-80 - by the time you add all of the taxes on the fare is US $171 (a friend of mine actually bought this fare hence my knowledge on it) so you can see in this case the taxes made up over a half of the airfare.

Sarah

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Why the airfare is so expensive?

Hi Sarah yea have been reading of late LIAT seen do be having a lot of special offers at the moment.

I have heard mixed reports about them from family. Have you flown with them?

Jason

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why the airfare is so expensive?

I have used LIAT numerous times and all very successful thankfully but one where I ended up having a 27 hour delay, including a night in Antigua, all in one go!!! lol - that being said on the whole I find them pretty good - I know others moan about them but I have noticed large improvements in their service and timekeeping over the last 2-3 years.

Sarah

london
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why the airfare is so expensive?

thanks for reminding me about the taxes.

when i'm booking the ticket with ba or virgin it shows

the complete price of the ticket.

no breakdown with taxes, handling fees etc.

not so clear like a ryanair or easyjet then haha :)

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Why the airfare is so expensive?

Thanks for the reply Sarah. Dam girl 27 hour delay bet that was real fun lol. Yea the timekeeping was the real complaint family had told me about but as you and others had said from reading up today things seem to have improved big time of late.

london
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why the airfare is so expensive?

I have flew with liat earlier this year from barbados

to st. vincent, return flight for a few days to visit

the grenadines.

I had booked it about a month in advance, and the

ticket had cost about 200us dollars including the taxes (not sure now about the check in baggage, but think a one piece is already included in the price)

, but did not included the departure tax from st.vincent which is 40ec dollars (about 10us dollars).

the flight was on time, the airplane itself a bit old and very small, but the wheather was very fine during the both flights, and pillot did take off and landed very smoothly.

i was also a bit afraid that liat may loose my bag

as i've heard it's happening with them quite often,

but they did not loose the bag, and the overall experience with them was quite good with them.

wouldn't hesitate to fly with them in future in carribean, as there is not really any other option, unless you can afford the private jet..

8. Re: Why the airfare is so expensive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2010, 01:17