We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best of Barbados on a plate!

Which Barbados hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
oxford
Level Contributor
212 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Best of Barbados on a plate!

Hi where would people recommend for really good local food for lunch or dinner. I'm don't mind splashing out if the food and service is worth it. Also the hotter the better! I'm staying near holetown but hope to travel around the island.

Thanks in advance xx

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best of Barbados on a plate!

For Holetown I would say your should try Tides.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,277 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best of Barbados on a plate!

Unless you are going in the high season you might find that Tides doesn't serve lunch - it certainly wasn't in May. We went to Lone Star instead which was lovely.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,334 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best of Barbados on a plate!

oxfordtraveller

Neither Lone Star or Tides should be mentioned in the same sentence as "local food". Their menus are 90% international as they are both upmarket places where people don't go looking for "local food". By all means, if you're coming to Barbados to eat food which you could easily get in the UK, such as scottish salmon, sirloin steaks and pretentiously seared scallops, visit the Tides, Lonestar, Cliff and the list goes on.

The best local food in Barbados can be found at the following places:

Atlantis Hotel & Restaurant - Tent Bay, St. Joseph. This is on the east coast and is an absolutely MUST for local fare. 100% traditional Barbadian food..from starters to mains to desserts. As you said you'll like to travel around the island I highly recommend Atlantis for lunch. They do a fantastic Sunday buffet which is around $35 USD per person last time I went.

Hilton Barbados - Hilton has a fantastic Sunday buffet serving up again, excellent local fare such as flying fish, macaroni pie, pineapple & sweet potato pie, carved pork loin and the list goes on. This is a bit pricier as it's Hilton, and usually runs around $60 USD per person.

Brown Sugar - Located on Bay Street, less than 5 mins drive from the Hilton. Once again, EXCELLENT local food. Great for dinner

David's Place - St. Lawrence Gap. great for dinner

Fisherman's Pub - Speightstown - great for lunch

Oistins Fish Fry - Friday/Saturday local food / entertainment to be had in Oistins Fishing Village. Absolutely wonderful atmosphere. As a local I go there all the time and absolutely enjoy myself, as do the tourists.

Right in Holetown, is the Beach House, another excellent restaurant for local food. I normally have lunch there once every other month or so. Never been disappointed.

Hope these recommendations are of use to you. Feel free to ask any questions regarding them and have an awesome time in Barbados.

Regards

Edited: 27 June 2011, 15:29
oxford
Level Contributor
212 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best of Barbados on a plate!

They all sound good! Any recommendations of local dishes to make sure we try? I really want to make sure we try as much bajan food as possible. Like I said earlier I love spicy food.

Thanks xx

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best of Barbados on a plate!

How about reasonably priced "local" food?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,334 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best of Barbados on a plate!

oxfordtraveller

Macaroni Pie is our unofficial national dish. Officially it's something called Cou Cou & Flying Fish. I highly recommend you try pineapple/sweet potato pie, roasted lamb leg (LOCAL.... not shipped in from New Zealand), fried and/or steamed flying fish, rice and green peas, fish cakes. For desserts, cassava pone, sweet bread, coconut pie, corn pone. We have excellent brands of local hot sauce available at most restaurants.

koolmom3_11

Just Grillin, Barbeque Barn, Fishermans Pub, Oistins Fish Fry and David's Place are all reasonably priced.

Regards

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,064 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best of Barbados on a plate!

You should go to the Indian Grill near Carlisle Bay and try the roti there. That's spicy and they do all sorts. I thik they do goat on a friday. Personally I prefer the vegetarian!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best of Barbados on a plate!

Yes sorry, whilst Tides has great foodand it has a Bajan twist it could not be discribed as 'local'. I would agree with Fishermand Pub in Speightstown which is close by.

How about a Roti? There is a great hut which sells great Roti's in St James accross the road from Daphnes.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best of Barbados on a plate!

I agree about trying Atlantis - I actually went there just around Christmas time and it was Bds $50 for 2 courses and fab local food - would highly recommend it.

For really cheap local food and also where the locals eat try Scotty's either at the Dover end of St. Lawrence Gap or opposite the Esso gas station at Black Rock (this is the start of the West Coast coast road)...

Just Grillin' in Holetown and Rockley are very good and very reasonable.

Oistins pretty much most evenings and some places during the day. Grannies in Oistins is very very reasonable and serves great takeaway local food.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best of Barbados on a plate!

I would second taking a trip to the Atlantis in Tent Bay. The buffet is fantastic with lots of local food in a beautiful setting. Try the Pepperpot dish which is quite spicy.

It is also advisable to pre-book a table for the buffet lunch on a Sunday or Wednesday as it is very popular.