We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Micro Sim for iPad

Porthcawl, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Micro Sim for iPad

Can I buy a local (Digicel/Lime) micro sim for my iPad? I've sent Digicel several emails, but with no response.

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Micro Sim for iPad

No. But you can cut your own. There are tools available on the net:

amazon.com/Micro-SIM-Cutter-Converter-adapte…

http://www.microsimcutter.com/

Or, you can do it manually:

http://www.solutios.com/simcutting/

http://tinyurl.com/24nx2cn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j3YmDNekVs

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,517 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Micro Sim for iPad

Rannyj

I would recommend you visit any LIME retail store upon your arrival into Barbados. LIME in Barbados has started to retail the iPhone 4 for the last four weeks and naturally micro sims are available with them. I don't know the cost, but I do know they're available. Regular sims are $25 BBD so you can use that as a guide to the cost.

I now have a number of friends with locally bought authentic Apple iPhone 4s. That being said, I've seen at least two iPads purchased in the UK which work with iPhone 4 sims. However, I've heard that this doesn't work with US purchased iPads.

Since you're from the UK, it should work for you.

Regards

Edited: 28 July 2011, 10:06
Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Micro Sim for iPad

Unless they've changed their policy, LIME was not selling microSIMs on prepaid plans without the iPhone itself. If you can get your hands on one of those SIMs, it will work for voice calls on a non-US iPad. US versions are locked to AT&T's network, although they can be jailbroken to work on any carrier, just like the iPhone can.

The cheapest and best solution is to simply modify a standard LIME or Digicel SIM.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,007 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Micro Sim for iPad

Having followed bpfife's posts on technology I have always found them to be "right" in every way. Below is the Lime website, just go to products and you'll see what they have. They also have free calls long distance to them so you can speak to someone and ask the question directly if you wish.

http://www.time4lime.com/bb/

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Micro Sim for iPad

Further to my previous post: I just spoke with a friend at LIME who checked their policy and after a lot of discussion with colleagues, he received conflicting info even from within the company. But it appears they've now decided to offer a pre-paid microSIM after all. Your best bet to obtain one is at one of the bigger outlets as they're not available everywhere. I still think it's questionable whether you'll find one at all. Seems as if they're not very organized.

RannyJ -- I'm assuming you want to use this for data as there's no native call function on the iPad. Although any SIP phone app will work over the net so you could use that. Keep in mind that LIME has no 3G network in Barbados so you'll be getting EDGE or GPRS speeds. Ugh. Not sure it's worth it. You would be better off finding a free WiFi hotspot and using that for either a data connection or VoIP calls.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,517 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Micro Sim for iPad

Each of LIME's four retail stores carry the same products and they all carry both types of sim cards, which is why I recommended that earlier today. What Cable & Wireless did after they rebranded to LIME was to close some of their retail shops and improve the other existing ones. I would recommend Rannyj visits the store at Carlisle House, Hincks Street, Bridgetown St. Michael. Just look for the new American Airlines Sales Office and it'll be there. The other stores aren't located in areas easily accessible to visitors unless they know this island well.

As for LIME's policy I find it's quite clear, probably because I've been a loyal customer for years. They may not be as organised as AT&T, but us locals know their modus operandi and that of Digicel quite well.

Regards

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,007 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Micro Sim for iPad

Fortunately since bpfife called and found out personally, I'd take his advice. I have followed his advice for years and it has always been accurate.

Plus my personal contacts (who are Barbadian and work at Lime coincidently) have told me the same thing as what bpfife was told. My gesture was totally coincidental as I've also been looking into this. That would be the best.

No offense intended to the " sniper" but I'm not sure he's tech "savvy", as Jack Sparrow would say.

Give it try.

Edited: 28 July 2011, 17:57
Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Micro Sim for iPad

Oh, good grief.

"...they all carry both types of sim cards, which is why I recommended that earlier today."

As *I* said earlier, not all LIME -->resellers<-- carry microSIMs and apparently some don't know they exist.

"...us locals know their modus operandi and that of Digicel quite well."

Ah yes, the local knowledge. How silly of me to think that 25 years experience in the telecommunications industry would count ;-) Or that discussions with actual executives about their network and marketing plans would be accurate? I've got to stop being so gullible. <Slaps self upside the head.>

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,517 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Micro Sim for iPad

bpfife

I wasn't going to make a further response to this, but I need to, rather then let any misinformation fester for all and sundry to see.

I never said LIME resellers and I would recommend you re-read my 22:40hrs post because it is clear you've misread.

I said LIME RETAIL stores, not resellers. HUGE DIFFERENCE. In other words, stores 100% owned and operated by LIME. Resellers are simply smaller traders who conduct business on behalf of LIME.

As I said, they are 4 LIME retail stores in Barbados. So I don't know what "others" you're speaking of. The four stores are located at:

Sheraton Centre Mall

Windsor Lodge

Dacosta Mannings Warrens

Carlise House Bridgetown

The most strategically located of them for a visitor is at Carlisle House. And all FOUR of them retail the iPhone 4 as well as the micro sim cards. So yes, the local knowledge counts in matters such as these! Three of my friends have already secured iPhones from LIME from 2 different stores. The launch was initially made at the Sheraton Centre store in mid June, and by the following week, all four retail stores had them in stock.

But what do I know, I'm just a Barbadian who's been using LIME for my mobile phone service for the last decade and my fixed line service for decades more from the time it was BARTEL. Are you suggesting that I should instead take advice regarding where LIME does and doesn't retail sim cards from someone who lives 2,376 nautical miles away from Barbados?

This is a clear example of why people who live locally are needed on these forums. To correct misinformation and offer sound advice on issues such as this, which only a local person or someone who spends a considerable amount of time in Barbados annually can provide. I may have been away from Barbados for a few months, but I haven't completely lost it yet and shall be back shortly.

What I find ironic is that I would never try to suggest to you or anyone else from the US what T-Mobile, Sprint or AT&T does or doesn't do in the United States. I would ask a question, and be guided by advice from someone like yourself who clearly understands the products and services offered by the respective companies. Please, allow me that courtesy for the island where I was born and where I call home, Barbados.

Regards

Edited: 28 July 2011, 19:03
Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Micro Sim for iPad

"...it is clear you've misread."

No, you've misread my response to that, and it's probably my fault for not using clearer terms. I was *agreeing* that the OP should go to a retail store and *not* a reseller. He's not likely to find one at a reseller displaying a LIME banner at some place in the Gap.

"Are you suggesting that I should instead take advice regarding where LIME does and doesn't retail sim cards from someone who lives 2,376 nautical miles away from Barbados?"

Google Maps is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

I thought you were currently in the UK which, though I'm too lazy to look it up, is probably farther away. So, your point? If it's that I don't know what I'm talking about because I live too far away... then since that applies to you, as well, I guess you're saying I'm giving out bad info because I wasn't born in Barbados. Alriiiiighty then.

"...which only a local person or someone who spends a considerable amount of time in Barbados annually can provide."

You know what they say about the word 'assume'.

You have no idea of my experience in the island, how much time I spend there, or my technical qualifications that would enable me to accurately comment on the telecommunications industry in Barbados. I don't think that's relevant or interesting information for the readers at large, but I'd be happy to discuss it with you via PM if you wish. We've bored these poor folks long enough.

I do admire your passion and love for your country. Really. It's evident in your writing and speaks well for the island.

Just don't assume that no one else can love it as much or know something about it as well as you.