We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Innoculations for the Caribbean

Broadstairs, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Innoculations for the Caribbean

As a UK resident do I need any innoculations to visit the Carribean?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Innoculations for the Caribbean

There is nothing that is required for entry, but I would recommend you check with your GP or a travel clinic as to any recommendations for you individually.

Personally, I wouldn't be confident in telling you which you should or shouldn't have given I don't know you or your medical background and I'm not a medical professional!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,859 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Innoculations for the Caribbean

Elizabeth D

I can't speak for the Caribbean, but as for Barbados, there is no innoculation which I'm aware of required by visitors from the UK.

Regards

Edited: 14 September 2011, 15:25
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,907 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Innoculations for the Caribbean

I have been travelling to and from Barbados for 20 years and have never had a single jab for anything. Don't worry at all.

Edited: 14 September 2011, 15:32
Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Innoculations for the Caribbean

As Littlemissred said it is best to visit your GP and they will check it on the computer for you and advise you what jabs you need. I can't recall what I have but some are just routine for travel in general such as being up to date with tetanus, then I think they recommend Hep A and I seem to recall Typhoid. Things change though so only they can tell you for sure.

Essex
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Innoculations for the Caribbean

We do not usually have any jabs but when my daughter recently travelled to Barbados with the school we had to check with our doctors surgery. The advice from them was tetanus and polio should be up to date and Hep A and Hep B. As other posters have said, check with your doctor for up to the minute advice.

Donna

Thetford, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Innoculations for the Caribbean

Usually Hep A is recommended for all travellers along with Hep B, if you are staying more than six months. Only requirement when entering the country is that you notify authorities if you have been in a yellow fever region prior to arrival in the island, in which case they would ask you to attend a health clinic for monitoring. It is a good idea to ensure Tetanus and TB shots are kept up to date when travelling. I don't think B'dos has had a case of polio since waaay back when (50's or 60's), they're pretty hot vaccinating the children.

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Innoculations for the Caribbean

I'm sure the above posters are sincere, but their information is inaccurate.

Although there is no formal inoculation requirement by the government of Barbados, all savvy travelers take a proactive approach in avoiding the dreaded Sobrietus Holidayensis syndrome. Its effects are temporary, but catching it can definitely ruin your holiday. I've seen a few poor souls wandering around with this disease and it's not a pretty sight.

Fortunately, preventive treatments are readily available all over the island and are easily administered. There is some disagreement over the recommended dosage. However, medical experts have found that either of the following protocols, if taken before onset of symptoms, are effective:

Every eight hours:

- 4 oz. Mount Gay Extra Old (oral application)

OR

- 4 oz. Cockspur V.S.O.R (oral application)

Relief is immediate and soothing. There are rumors of an intravenous drip being developed, which would run overnight and eliminate the need to reapply the medication every eight hours. I'm a bit old-fashioned, so I'll just put up with the inconvenience.

I present this information solely in the interest of the public health and in hopes of stamping out this horrible disease.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Innoculations for the Caribbean

LOL very true

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Innoculations for the Caribbean

Thanks Doc! I shall apply every six to eight hours as prescribed!

Cheers!

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Innoculations for the Caribbean

LOL!

I didn't think Sobrietus Holidayensis Syndrome existed in Barbados!