We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation Help!

Which Bridgetown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, On
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Accommodation Help!

Hi everyone!,

I will be in Barbados for a week next May and I am looking for rental places to stay. I have seen studio apartment for $50 - $60 a night right at the beach or just a block away from the beach.

I would appreciate some help on weather these rentals are a good deal or should I go for a Hotel instead.

PS. I do not go for hotels in order to get nice service or meals included, I am more the kind of person who enjoys living like a local for that period of time

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation Help!

Whereabouts are the one that you have seen???

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation Help!

I'm with you all the way on this one henToronto!

I always stay somewhere like an apartment and to be honest, find them much better value than a hotel.

Which ones are you looking at?

Toronto, On
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation Help!

So far most places I have seen they are located at the St Lawrence Gap, and based on reviews it does seem like the area is very popular for tourist to visit and stay around.

some of the places are:

-Baja flamingo guesthouse

-Blue moon

-Bosvigo guesthouse

Desert Rose

-Rio guesthouse

-Sal ash apartment

I have also seen a couple more around the Silversand area (Mike's guesthouse) which sound like a good deal too.

I would like to know how easy is to move around this area since it says there is so much to do.

I am also thinking on renting a scooter so I can go as far north - south - east - west as I can to enjoy this island to its best! (is that a good idea renting scooter)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation Help!

Yep, the Gap is probably a good place to base yourself, I would say probably better than Silver Sands as it's a bit isolated and out of the way. You would definitely need some sort of transport if staying at Silver Sands, whereas the Gap is on a good public transport route and plenty within walking distance.

I've stayed at Rio and Desert Rose, both of which are good for meeting people, but have shared facilities (some rooms share a bathroom and all rooms share a kitchen) - I find it works fine, but some people don't really like it.

Friends have stayed at Bajan Flamingo and Salt Ash and as far as I know they are absolutely fine.

Personally, I wouldn't rent a scooter as some of the roads aren't in the best state - potholes etc, you'd probably be better off with a small car for getting out and about exploring.

Toronto, On
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation Help!

Little miss red Thanks for the advise. Can you tell me some more must see.

I am planing to go all the way east to Bottom Bay and as far north west to Mullins Bay well hoping it is easy to move around.

you sound like yo have some of the best secret the island has to offer.

:)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation Help!

Sorry, didn't have time to reply yesterday!

There's lots to see and do on the island - it all depends what sort of things you like - St Nicholas Abbey, the rum tours, catamaran tours, Land Rover safaris, ziplining, horseracing, cricket, organised hikes, a visit to Bathsheba, fine dining, casual dining, Oistins on a Friday, live music.... the list goes on forever!

As well as all of those things though, don't underestimate the "doing nothing", sit in a rum shop, chat to some people, jump on a bus and see where it takes you... the bus network is pretty good, BD$2 fixed fare for each journey and it covers most of the island. If you're out and get lost, don't worry, you're never far away, as the island is only 21 x 14 miles! Just ask and I'm sure you'll be pointed back in the right direction!

Alberta
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation Help!

If you wish to get away from the Gap, how about Holetown. Sunset Crest area has some nice one bedroom villas with kitchen for $55 US a night.

London, United...
Level Contributor
263 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation Help!

The Gap is a good place to stay, or either side. It's not as manic and loud as it is portrayed, although it's not quiet either.

We've stayed here before, basic and relatively cheap, http://www.chateaublancbarbados.com/#

or failing that have a look at these links.

http://barbados.org/hotels/h119.htm

barbados.org/guesthouses/…index.htm

http://barbados.org/apt/cherrytree/index.htm

http://www.barbados.org/apprate.htm

shoestringbarbados.com/prop-budget-s-studio.…

ascentaspirations.ca/crystalwatersindex.htm

http://www.maravalbarbados.com/

Kitchener, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation Help!

Thanks, I'll check these out as next trip I feel I'd ike to be just 5minutes from a family dear to me in Fitt's Village.

Bridgetown, Barbados
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation Help!

Two of my friends and I came down from Toronto (and one also from Manitoba) in July 2010 we stayed at Desert Rose. It was great.

The owner sleeps like the dead so when we came back from a night out we didn't worry bout the noise we made. AND WE MADE LOTS OF NOISE. She was very nice and the best part was that she left us alone. When we needed something she was always there but otherwise there was no bothering us. Every once in a while she would ask if we need something but otherwise nothing. It was great and the cheapest. It kinda felt like staying at a friends house really.

We knew we were gonna spend most of our days out and about so we didn't want to spend a lot of cash on rooms to sleep in. We ate out almost everyday. But there was a fridge there (separate from her fridge) so we could store mostly breakfast foods to also make our trip a bit cheaper. It was in a great spot by Dover beach so that we could walk to the beach in less than 5 minutes.

Really if you are the kind of person who spends next to no time in your room and plans on eating out most of the time then this is for you. IF you want to spend lots of time at the house it's comfy for that too.

And the only complaint I had was that we spent quite a few nights outside in the back talking and smoking and she has lots of aloe plants and ferns in the back which attract mosquitoes. But again the plants also make for a much nicer and cooler feeling . And she also gave us mosquito coils too. All the rooms have nets around the be as well.

Oh and another thing is she smokes. Like chain smokes inside the house. The living room and kitchen section.We were all smokers so it didn't bother us at all but I guess it might for some others. She doesn't allow smoking in the inside bedroom or washroom nor does she smoke in that section either.

She does have one room that is outside the house though that has it's own shower and toilet (but no sink) so if the smoke bothers you, you can ask for that room. Oh and the single room also has no hot water. But after you spend time in Barbados you will like the cool water shower.

Since I live in Barbados now I won't need to stay there again BUT if I ever need to go somewhere I would want a place like Desert Rose. And I would recommend it for sure