We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 nights?

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
8 nights?

Hi. My wife and I are making our first trip to Bonair in February. We booked a Condo for a week (Sat to Sat). It appears that many flights to/from the Midwest via Atlanta arrive relatively late on Saturday and then leave Sunday morning. Do many of you who rent condos for a week spend your last night in a hotel? Are one night hotel rentals hard to come by? Thanks for any insight.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 nights?

I'm a little confused by your question. What does the Midwest have to do with it? The only direct flights from the USA to Bonaire are from Atlanta (Delta), Newark (United), or Houston (United).

Property managers on Bonaire are familiar with the issue of some flights from the USA arriving on Bonaire in the evening and departing the next morning. In general they're happy to rent the accommodation for the 8th night if there isn't a conflict with the itineraries for the previous or next guests. The best way to find out for your preferred property is to ask them before you book.

There are only a couple of small boutique hotels on Bonaire right now (Central Hotel Bonaire and Roomers.) Everything else is condo, apartment, or "resort" rooms. A Courtyard By Marriott hotel is under construction now near the airport and supposedly will be open this October.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 nights?

Thanks. I will be going into Bonaire from DSM through Atlanta. I took another look and it appears there is a Saturday flight that will work for us. I tried to rent the eighth night but the owner didn't seem to interested.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,709 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 nights?

During the high season Delta usually has a couple of flights that you can work with. I will warn you though, especially this far out, that Delta frequently changes schedules and even drops flights completely. We were on a Sunday flight but Delta dropped it and automatically put us on the Saturday flight without notifying us. I suggest checking on your schedule/reservations occasionally to make sure all is OK. If needed, there are a couple of possibilities for single night rentals.

WWGUY.... A Courtyard?? That seems a bit strange for Bonaire. We've been watching all the construction around the airport but had not heard that some of it would be a Courtyard.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 nights?

AmateurGO, unfortunately, it IS a Marriott Courtyard.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,709 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 nights?

Just does not seem to be the Marriott Courtyard type destination... And,as you say, it is definitely unfortunate....

Marriott seems to be "invading" some of our favorite destinations. A Ritz Carlton is scheduled to begin construction soon on one of our other favorite islands, Providenciales in the Turks & Caicos.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 nights?

I couldn't agree more. One of the reasons that we have always considered Bonaire special is due to the lack of large chain hotels.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 nights?

Marriott is building like crazy in the Caribbean right now. Last October they announced that they will be expanding their hotel portfolio in the Caribbean and Latin America by 75 percent between 2015 and 2018.

More info here if interested:

…marriott.com/2015/…

The new Bonaire hotel will offer 140 rooms. Marriott is also currently building a new 177 room Courtyard hotel on Curacao, which will be their 3rd hotel on that island.

Edited: 28 June 2016, 10:43
Leawood, Kansas
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 nights?

Marriott and the other big chains need inventory in the Caribbean to satisfy the rewards members who want to burn up points. That said a Courtyard does seem an odd brand for the island.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
40 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 nights?

Hi,

Just saw this post. We own a house on Bonaire and frequently end up renting a hotel room for ourselves the 8th night of our stay (or else we'd lose a rental week the following week since most of our guests come in on a Saturday.) We fly in on a Saturday and out the following Sunday and stay Sat - Sat in our house and Sunday night in a hotel. We've had no problem booking a one night stay at hotels on the island if it's not high season. We usually stay at Divi Flamingo the last night since they are reasonably priced, close to the airport and accept online booking. (Some hotels on the island don't have online booking and you have to email them for prices and availability.)

WWGuy is right, some house and condo units will do 8 night rentals depending on their availability. Others won't, and reserve one day each week for arrival and departures, generally Saturday.

All the best,

Kate

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 nights?

Thanks Kate. I think I posted this before all the flights were showing up. We booked a nice flight Sat - Sat. Looking forward to seeing Bonaire for the first time!

Get answers to your questions about Bonaire
Recent Conversations