We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to Do After Diving

Flint, Michigan
Level Contributor
90 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Things to Do After Diving

I want to return to Bonaire after many years. My wife is unwilling because she is afraid that there is nothing to do but dive. We are both experienced divers at many locations in the Caribbean. We also like out of resort adventures as well as a fun and entertaining resort stay. I need help! Can someone point me in the right direction or give their personal reviews?

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
339 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to Do After Diving

Here's my list of things to do besides diving, kite surfing, or sail boarding:

- Explore the national park occupying the northern 3rd of the island. (I can't believe it took us 15 years to get around to that.)

- Kayak and/or snorkel the mangroves.

- Take a horseback ride through the kunuku or along Lac bay.

- Visit the donkey sanctuary.

- Visit the butterfly farm.

- Learn few words and phrases in Papiamentu.

- Pack a picnic lunch and find a great spot to enjoy it. (Nukove is one of our favorites.)

- Explore some of Bonaire's 400 caves (guided tours are available.)

- Rent mountain bikes and ride on your own or take a guided bicycle tour.

- Enjoy a sunset cruise and onboard BBQ with Captain Wim & crew on The Compass.

- Tour the Cadushy distillery in Rincon.

- Drive up to Sera Largu and take in the panoramic view of the southern part of the island.

- View Arawak Indian inscriptions in the caves near Boca Onima.

- Take a self-guided walking tour of Rincon or Kralendijk.

- Rent a motorboat and enjoy a leisurely afternoon exploring and snorkeling the leeward coast and Klein Bonaire.

- Explore the Bara Di Karta hiking, biking, and driving trails.

- Bring binoculars to watch flamingoes, parrots, and other interesting Bonairean birds.

- Relax with a massage at one of the many spas on Bonaire.

- Enjoy some downtime with your favorite book without obsessing over "what's next?" on your vacation to-do list.

- Watch the sun set over the sea with a cool drink in hand. It never gets old.

- Take time to meet some of the warm and friendly Bonairean people.

I'm sure there are probably more that I'm missing. I'm always amazed at how many people visit Bonaire just for the diving and miss all of these great opportunities!

Pa.
Level Contributor
4,990 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to Do After Diving

Good list! I don't think the butterfly farm is still there. We looked for it in Jan or June as it was closed on our prior trip.

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to Do After Diving

We're due to go next week (for 2 weeks from UK). Husband's a diver, but I'm just an avid snorkeler. We're lucky to be able to do at least 1 long-haul for dive/snorkel each year - Caribbean, Mexico, Far East, Australia etc., & (closer to home) Red Sea. I try not to book anything for us that doesn't have a good selection of non-diving activity available (exception being 2 different trips to the Maldives - bored me to death!!!!). WWguy's list is amazing. I'd already planned for several of the activities, like kaying, horse-riding, Rincon, caves, birds etc., but he's given me other ideas too. Also plan for boat & island tours, tuk-tuk tours, water-taxi to Klein Bonaire etc. & snorkelling together. Ok, so I'm not going to experience ancient temples/cultures/history on this trip! But do tell your wife that this Brit wouldn't be agreeing to 2 weeks; 15 hrs ++ journey time each way; & $6-7,000 expenditure, just to idle the time sunbathing & snorkelling whilst 'Sir' is diving! And your wife also has the excitement of the diving too!

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
339 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to Do After Diving

This forum needs a "like" button! :-)

Napanee, Ontario
Level Contributor
349 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to Do After Diving

There is also a glass bottom boat that I heard has a really good sunset cruise.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to Do After Diving

A good list of things to do, my wife and I did some great diving in the park on our last trip and found a nice quiet beach near the mangroves.

We enjoy exploring the island roads but missed hiking and exploring caves etc.

Really great to have a wife and buddy who loves to dive!!

Level Contributor
86 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to Do After Diving

We always enjoy sex on the beach. (the drink.....maybe.........) lol

8. Re: Things to Do After Diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2017, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Bonaire