We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Bonaire snorkeling

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
229 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
South Bonaire snorkeling

Still wondering around Bonaire. I am curious about the Southern end for snorkeling. There are several places that I am intrigued with. Belair. Bellevue Lighthouse beach. Sea Bliss Any info on snorkeling conditions in the southern area would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Wonder Woman

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Bonaire snorkeling

I don't know of any named snorkel/dive sites called Belair or Bellevue, although there are a resorts by those names in the Belnem area. You can certainly snorkel off of these resorts and these are close to the named Donkey Beach. Lighthouse Point is another named dive site and it should be OK, bit not great for snorkeling. In general I'd say that snorkeling should be OK at the named snorkel sites all the way down to around Atlantis beach. If you go much further south than Atlantis then you might start getting some wave action coming around the southern tip of Bonaire. This would probably be OK for diving but might be uncomfortable for snorkeling. Another caution about snorkeling around Atlantis beach is that this is where the kite-boarding is concentrated and I don't think I'd want to be snorkeling in the same area as a bunch of kite-boarders.

I should also point out that most of the named sites south of Donkey Beach are identified as dive sites only (not snorkel), with a couple of exceptions. You could snorkel at these sites, but the viewing would probably be somewhat limited. If in doubt, stick to the sites identified as suitable for snorkeling on the maps and you should be fine.

If you don't have one, I suggest you get at least a map of Bonaire and the identified dive/snorkel sites. There are also some excellent books and online references for information about each dive/snorkel site.

Pa.
Level Contributor
6,049 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Bonaire snorkeling

Currents can also be pretty bad around the slave huts and lighthouse areas.

Dover, Delaware
Level Contributor
109 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Bonaire snorkeling

As already noted, most of the southern sites are better for diving than snorkeling. Tori's is listed in guidebooks as great to snorkel but we strongly disagree. It is a very long surface swim over sand to a fairly deep reef. If you want to go south, try Margate Bay or Red Beryl -- if they were not highly impacted by the recent Hurricane Matthew. We enjoy Donkey Beach, especially the site directly across from the airport exit (Te Amo Beach). IMHO, your best bets are to go north, particularly Karpata, the Andreas, or Cliff. Enjoy.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
229 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Bonaire snorkeling

Thanks each one of you for your help!

Wonder Woman

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Bonaire snorkeling

I snorkeled (freedived) on the southwest side and apart from the Salt Pier, which was interesting because of the structure itself, didn't find much to write home about. It was actually very disappointing with most coral being nothing but rubble. The best snorkeling I found was actually at Sorobon beach on the east coast. Head east from the restaurants into the water until you come near the barrier reef... lots of staghorn and elkhorn coral.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
229 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Bonaire snorkeling

Thanks ya'll she said with a drawl

7. Re: South Bonaire snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2017, 00:15