We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Support for the Cuban People Itinerary

Denver, Colorado
10 posts
Support for the Cuban People Itinerary
Save

Has anyone traveled from the USA to Cuba under the "Support for the Cuban People" category since the November 2017 changes? If so, I am very interested to learn about your itinerary, documentation, obstacles, etc. I am hoping to go for 4 days in the Spring. Thank you!

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
18,501 posts
13 reviews
32 helpful votes
1. Re: Support for the Cuban People Itinerary
Save

Thousands of Americans have travelled under that category since November 17 and very few have bothered with any documentation or itinerary. No obstacles or proofs needed on departure or return.

Many others will keep some documentation in case they are asked in the 5 years following.

If you wish, you may read the rules and ask a specific question here.

Currently, you don't need to have a full time schedule for your travelling days, according to those who called the State Dept and asked.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
70 posts
32 reviews
14 helpful votes
2. Re: Support for the Cuban People Itinerary
Save

We went in Dec-Jan with a Support for the Cuban people license and were not asked anything. I had a simple backup itinerary if we would ever be asked that included staying in private casas, eating at private paladares, taking private taxis and spending time at art galleries/artists studios and collectives, visiting private farms, private drum/dance/horseback riding lessons. Which was mostly what we did, but not exactly. It's easy to document 6-7 hours a day doing private activities. Like others have said, the chance you will be asked is slim to none, but you can make this easily if it gives you peace of mind.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
12,741 posts
54 reviews
65 helpful votes
3. Re: Support for the Cuban People Itinerary
Save

Ashley, there are no obstacles, no need to follow any certain itinerary , check the box support for Cuban people, that the airline is required to have you do, then continue on like you would be going to any other destination. It is as easy as that.

Denver, Colorado
10 posts
4. Re: Support for the Cuban People Itinerary
Save

Thank you all for your helpful replies!

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
91 posts
23 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Support for the Cuban People Itinerary
Save

I'll second what the others are saying. We just got back from 2 1/2 wk trip, checked the box with Southwest Airlines on the form, no one from US govt ever asked us about anything. Just go, tourism from US citizens is down dramatically (especially away from the resorts).

3 posts
1 review
6. Re: Support for the Cuban People Itinerary
Save

Hello there!

Going to cuss on a cruise soon and would like to avoid ‘the people to people’ organized tours provided by the cruise! Can we still check ‘support for the Cuban people’ as an option when getting of the ship? (It’s a royal Caribbean)! Obviously we won’t stay at the casas particulares since we will return to the ship at night but would eat at the local restaurants and will engage in other required activities on our own!

I guess my question is as a support of the Cuban people option do you have to stay at the local houses or that is just one of the requirements? Eating and engaging to locals would be sufficient ?

And second would the cruise actually

Allow us to check the ‘ support for the Cuban people’ option and get off the ship ( and return!) ? It seems they are pushing their tours and heir explanations on line at every vague! When I called the woman was very confusing and did not make it clear for me !

Thank you!!

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
8,788 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Support for the Cuban People Itinerary
Save

You should be cautious about cussing on a cruise

Otherwise your plan is just fine, and you don't have to stay in a casa

Edited: 5 years ago
3 posts
1 review
8. Re: Support for the Cuban People Itinerary
Save

Oops so sorry!!! Autocorrect!!! I meant I am going on a cruise to Cuba , not ‘cuss’!

Thank you so much for the response!

Level Contributor
3 posts
77 reviews
78 helpful votes
9. Re: Support for the Cuban People Itinerary
Save

Did you go in the cruise? What did you put in the Form? I’m having the same issue, we will be in Havana in a Royal Caribbean cruise and they told us we can have excursion with locals or other agencies that aten’t Approve for The American embassy, I really hope you can help me

3 posts
1 review
10. Re: Support for the Cuban People Itinerary
Save

Just got back and do not let royal carribean convince you that you have to do their tours! You do not !! They gave us a bit of hard time at first! They put us in a room and had their manager come talk to us! They did try to intimidate me at first! But I had all my homework done, I knew what to say and I had my itinerary typed and ready to show them! In the end another manager came with the visas and our sail passes plus VIP stuff while on the boat and with an apology because we were stuck in that room for about half an hour waiting to see if we are getting in or not!

You can legally get off the boat by checking the number 4 choice, specifically support for the Cuban people, on the paperwork they will provide! That means you will have to do certain things while you are there and will have to be ready to show them if they ask!! Basically eat at local owned restaurants - paladares (look up a few on line) support the arts (go to a few museums, take a dance lesson, but art from local artists- visit Fusterlandia, plenty of art there), take a vintage car tour with a private owned car (check the drivers in parque central) . Avoid the government owned businesses! On the way back nobody asked any questions what so ever, but I kept all receipts!

By the way people that did the tours said they were miserable! Ugh can’t imagine being dragged around for 7 hours! We even stayed the night in Havana and did not return to the ship until it left except to change! No questions asked while in and out the boat!

Have fun!! I

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.