We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Cuba trip in June of 2018

3 posts
Planning a Cuba trip in June of 2018

Hello everyone,

my girlfriend and I are planning an 8-10 day trip to Cuba. Now that we can no longer us people to people for individual travel what do you guys recommend to use? Has anyone had any recent issues traveling to and from Cuba.

ps we would be flying out from NJ direct via United.

thanks

10 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
6,780 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Planning a Cuba trip in June of 2018

Just use the "Support for the Cuban people category.

There should be no issues at all. Don't be worried.

Caimito, Cuba
Level Contributor
21,299 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Planning a Cuba trip in June of 2018

As Jack says, that category is designed for independent travel.

3 posts
3. Re: Planning a Cuba trip in June of 2018

Thank you for the replies. Do we need to see or do anything special if we utilize Support for the Cuban people? I have read that you should keep a strict itinerary. Because I am from the US and our new laws in regards travel to Cuba I just want to make sure I don't have any issues.

In all honesty, we are looking to get to know Cuba, the culture, and the people. We are looking to get a more cultural experience over staying at a resort etc.

Is 8-10 days too much? We are thinking Havana --> Vinales --> Varadero --> Santiago. Not in any specific order.

Maywood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Planning a Cuba trip in June of 2018

Envious, I am flying delta from jfk. When i booked the direct flight in united from ewr was $850 pp and my total delta cost from jfk on the direct flight was approx $226 for 2. Still would prefer ewr!

I digress. I haven’t traveled yet so I can’t comment in what to do once in cuba, all I can comment on is the booking process as an American with the current regulations. It seems confusing but thst actually was the easiest part of the process.

Purchase your sirline tickets and check off support of the cuban people as your ofac category and be on your way. Book a casa particular in Havana. We are going to Vinales for a day tour becauss I don’t have an extra night to spend there, but I wish I could. We booked the Varadero ai hotel theough a travel agent because I wanted to prepay not carry the cash. It really is as simple as that. I have planned almost every day out although I know once ai get there I will just go as the wind blows.

Happy planning

3 posts
5. Re: Planning a Cuba trip in June of 2018

Thanks, i also live in NJ. what travel agent did you use?

I think we are going to use airbnb for havana and then from there we are going to stay at casa particulars. We are going to have things we want to do and see but otherwise going to keep it pretty open.

Maywood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
76 reviews
6. Re: Planning a Cuba trip in June of 2018

Awesome. I am in northern Nj just outside of the city.

I will inbox you the travel agents name. She came recommended from a friend I have at the canadian treasury board. The travel agent went above and beyond for us.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Planning a Cuba trip in June of 2018

@3 Cut out Santiago for such a short trip.

@5 I think you are a bit confused. Airbnb is simply one of many agencies used to book casas particulares. Personally we recommend a Cuba based one rather than one from San Francisco - much more in the spirit of Support for the Cuban People (and generally cheaper as a bonus).

You don't need to use a travel agent - Cuba is very easy to self guide around. I'd be be wary of advice from people who haven't even been to Cuba.

Maywood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
76 reviews
8. Re: Planning a Cuba trip in June of 2018

Inboxed you the ta name and number. As stated earlier, the ta was strictly for the Varadero hotel. You will find when searching for hotels on the internet that your ip address is recognized as a US based address and will shut down the rates.and as I stated earlier, I have not been to Cuba yet (was very clear on that) and I can only provide feedback on the booking process in American as an American.

Edited: 18 March 2018, 21:38
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,363 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Planning a Cuba trip in June of 2018

Mama, you are right about US booking sites seeing your IP and not allowing certain features the rest of us can access.

I guess you figured out you can use some Canadian and Cuban sites without those blocks and can use your US credit cards there.

Hang in there. Waiting for your report. We're in Cuba tomorrow.

Maywood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
76 reviews
10. Re: Planning a Cuba trip in June of 2018

Spunky ...I am so jealous, I still have 20 days left. But the anticipation is fun as well!

Yes I figured it out and actually some of the Canadian sites shut it down as well. Sunwing is hit or miss. I looked the other night to get a rate for someone and it wouldn't even come up asa destination. But in the past I have been able to find it. so weird!

So we went with a Canadian travel agent instead and she was awesome. Also using the Canadian site is the most economical because of the exchange rate even with the foreign transaction fee. For an American it is also good because then one does not need to be carry all that excess cash (we have already discussed how I lose my wallet, something I did again yesterday but it was returned thankfully!)

Anyway, I digress. Have a fabulous trip. Come back and tell us about it. Counting down the hours, minutes and seconds before I go.

Reply to: Planning a Cuba trip in June of 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted