We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanky Project

ottawa
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
6 reviews
Spanky Project

Can someone explain to me why the thread on the Spanky Project needing help was closed?

14 replies to this topic
London, Canada
Level Contributor
6,216 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Spanky Project

Well isn't that terrible....I hope that was a mistake.

ottawa
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Spanky Project

I don't think so Laurie, :(.

The pettiness of some people is beyond my comprehension.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Spanky Project

That is particularly weird given how long the wedding dress self promotion lasted intact despite numerous spam reports.

Level Contributor
30 posts
4. Re: Spanky Project

Honestly I am surprised it lasted so long.

Perhaps the closure was to appease a few.

"El mundo Cambia con tu ejemplo, no con tu opinión"

The post and ongoing support was much appreciated.

People stepped up to help Cuban help their animals.

Cubans, their animals and the Spanky Project are grateful.

The winner has yet to be announced. A full report will be coming soon.

Abrazos!

Edited: 02 July 2018, 07:08
ottawa
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Spanky Project

I and, I am sure, many others will continue to support the Spanky Project and other charitable organizations and individuals that care for the animals in Cuba. There seem to be a growing number of them, perhaps because of the Spanky Project initiative :)

For what it worth, I should point out that my original thread asking for support for the Spanky Project was totally "unsolicited" by any members of Spanky Project.

Great job, Terry and your team!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,194 posts
40 reviews
6. Re: Spanky Project

I was shocked to see that thread had been deleted....shame !!

Thanks for reviving it, Santana, and let's continue to support this great organization, as well as several others all over Cuba who are supporting, and caring for, sick and stray animals, conducting sterilization clinics, setting up cat cafes, building animal shelters etc. etc.

So MANY good, caring, dedicated people !

Barb

Edited: 02 July 2018, 10:21
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,708 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Spanky Project

I'd like to see the Spanky Project and Radar, Terry, continue in their efforts to establish safe Cat Cafes at some of the resorts.

Cats are well fed and housed away from guests unless the guest wants to visit. Cats have a safe compound that is weather proofed. All cats are spayed and neutered, and have all of the shots and boosters. Healthy cats guard their territories against newcomers, so updating the list of occupants could be done every few months. 150 new kittens won't be born and culled each year.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,194 posts
40 reviews
8. Re: Spanky Project

There is a group called "All People for Animals in Cuba" who are active in setting up and monitoring cat cafes. They have recently conducted a check of the cat cafes at both Royalton Hicacos, and the Iberostar Varadero, in Varadero.....deworming and medicating any cats that need it, as well as making sure they are spayed and neutered.

This is a great organization, made up of dedicated volunteers. ...also glad of donations !

Apparently the cat cafe at Iberostar Tainos was destroyed in the hurricane last year, and has not been replaced, which is a shame.

I have asked them if they can provide me with a list of resorts that ARE maintaining cat cafes, as this really is the perfect situation for cats and guests ( who may then choose to either interact with the cats, or ignore them completely) as the cats are ONLY fed in the cafe, which is located away from the buffet and other areas where the guests are likely to be eating.

Will share this list, as and when I get it.

Cats are very important in keeping the rat and mice population under control, at resorts, so should not be discouraged, but DO need to be managed sensibly and humanely.

Barb

Edited: 02 July 2018, 11:27
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,194 posts
40 reviews
9. Re: Spanky Project

Following up...apparently there are only THREE cat cafes that are active in Varadero at the minute.

They are at Royalton Hicacos , Iberostar Varadero and Roc Barlovento.

All People for Animals in Cuba have a form letter that can be printed off and mailed ( or possibly emailed or faxed ?) to any of the resorts that do not currently have one, explaining the benefits of having a cafe, instructions for setting it up and support in running it.

If anyone is interested in doing that, please contact this great grassroots organization...they are very quick to respond ( I used FaceBook messenger, but they also have an email address ) They are located in Matanzas.

Barb

ottawa
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Spanky Project

Barb, thank you very much for seeking out this information and posting it for those who are interested. I have seen how well these cafe's operate at some resorts in Mexico.

Reply to: Spanky Project
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted