We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Viazul bus service Pilon?

Canada
Level Contributor
280 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
Does Viazul bus service Pilon?

On a Viazul website, in the drop-down destinations, there is no Pilon.

The bus stop closest to Pilon on that list is in Bayamo.

So I assume, no service to Pilon...

10 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,688 posts
245 reviews
248 helpful votes
1. Re: Does Viazul bus service Pilon?

That's right, no Viazul to Pilon. There must be a Cuban bus of some sort that goes from Bayamo to Manzanillo city and maybe even one to Pilon as well but info on that or a taxi would be best found at the Bayamo bus station. For the most part, Viazul only services the larger cities of Cuba.

Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
26 helpful votes
2. Re: Does Viazul bus service Pilon?

Hi a_dotdot_dam,

I confirm: no Viazul.

Last March, I did Santiago - Pilon - Manzanillo - Bayamo - Santiago, mostly by private taxi, except for the section Manzanillo - Bayamo where it was possible to get into a collectivo taxi.

In every city, though, there are "piqueras" = terminals, with collective trucks. But the queues are really long, I prefered to let a spot for the Cubans, and chose more comfort.

Enjoy your trip!

renaldito

Canada
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
38 reviews
81 helpful votes
3. Re: Does Viazul bus service Pilon?

Well done , Renaldito!

Did you happen to share a ride with a local ? Would make for an interesting ride

Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
26 helpful votes
4. Re: Does Viazul bus service Pilon?

Hi deebob,

My taxista from Santiago to Pilon to Cabo Cruz to Manzanillo turned out to be an incredible chauffeur, guide and historian. Being himself native from Pilon, he stopped at so many perfect spots for photos, explaining in details where history happened, especially about the '50s when the Barbudos disembarked and hid in the Sierra Maestra.

Other than that the other taxistas discussed about cars and maintenance and family... also quite interesting.

I will certainly go back!

renaldito

Canada
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
38 reviews
81 helpful votes
5. Re: Does Viazul bus service Pilon?

Perfect! You are a lucky Man to have that all come to you as it did.

Cuba is a wonderland , if you can look beneath the first layer.

Salúd , Amigo!

East Coast
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
6. Re: Does Viazul bus service Pilon?

It is ironic that although apparently Viazul does not run between Bayamo and Pilon, just down the road from Pilon in Marea del Portillo, there is a tourist bus cleaning/parking lot. It is just off the main road on a side street. I think the last time I was there, I counted something like 15 medium to large size tourist buses like you see at the airports. I have no idea why the buses are kept there in a somewhat remote area quite a distance from the obvious choice of Manzanillo. Here's a Google Map link showing 4 large buses in the parking lot (Centre of picture) and, if I recall correctly, the building there is just a covering with probably more buses underneath it where the workers can wash and clean them.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Marea+del+Portillo,+Cuba/@19.9195402,-77.1822518,255m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x8ed1aa7ec196c301:0xba31357a3ee44813!8m2!3d19.9160419!4d-77.1902122!16s%2Fg%2F1tgcbkrb?hl=en-CA&entry=ttu

Edited: 21 June 2024, 08:21
Canada
Level Contributor
280 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
7. Re: Does Viazul bus service Pilon?

Thank you all for the confirmation of my worst fears ;-)

Renald, I would appreciate kindly letting me know the cost, or the best estimate, for the taxi Bayamo - Pilon

Canada
Level Contributor
280 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
8. Re: Does Viazul bus service Pilon?

Thank you all for the confirmation of my worst fears ;-)

Renald, I would appreciate kindly letting me know the cost, or the best estimate, for the taxi Bayamo - Pilon

Canada
Level Contributor
280 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
9. Re: Does Viazul bus service Pilon?

Thank you all for the confirmation of my worst gut feeling ;-)

Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
26 helpful votes
10. Re: Does Viazul bus service Pilon?

Hi,

I did not do that portion directly, but with a few days stop in between, in Manzanillo.

Manzanillo - Bayamo, in taxi collectivo, was probably around 5 or 7 $.

Of course a lot more with private taxi. Expect minimal 75 to 100$ for your 150km trip.

I found this link:

https://www.mialquilerencuba.com/taxi/pilon-cuba/to/bayamo-cuba/

As usual, the owner of your casa particular should be a great reference.

Cheers,

renaldito

Reply to: Does Viazul bus service Pilon?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.