We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations for Cuba

Hebden Bridge, UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Vaccinations for Cuba

I am doing my thrid trip to Cuba in Februrary, along with members of my family. Questions have been raised re vaccinations - the travel agent says not needed, different web sites tell me differently !! I have never had them perviously - can anyone advise ??

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Varadero, Windsor
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations for Cuba

never had any in 15 trips.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations for Cuba

no we don't either. I have concerns about the ducerol and twinnex as I talk to people - so no tho shots

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations for Cuba

Hep A and B are recommended (now even at home here in Canada), as well as making sure your tetanus is up to date.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,524 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations for Cuba

Mojitolady,

The travel agent is correct … there are no vaccinations ‘required’ for Cuba. However (and this is just my opinion), it is a wise traveler who gets jabs for Hepatitis A & B, and an up-to-date tetanus vaccination.

Many places (maybe even more-so here in Canada!) have problems with the public water supply.

In Canada, some vaccinations are covered by some health insurance plans … not sure about the UK, so you may want to check.

It is a personal decision.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccinations for Cuba

Hola!

Just got my first shot of Twinrix for the Hep A/B. Next one is a month away - which is a couple days before departing for Veradero. I see the commercials about the ice cubes so I decided might as well get them. No coverage for me though so each shot is $65.

I had a little mishap back in 2001 which included a lawnmower and my toe so my tetanus shot is only about 7 years old so I am not going to worry about that one just yet.

Enjoy your trip Mojitolady!

Hebden Bridge, UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaccinations for Cuba

Hi everyone - thanks for the prompt replies. I will tell my family re the Hep and let them decide accordingly. I think they are free in the UK.

Going back to Playa Pesquero where I see for the 3rd year running there are mixed reviews ! I know I will enjoy...

Toronto
Level Contributor
407 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vaccinations for Cuba

The drug companies do a good job of putting some doubt in peoples heads. I know there is always danger to travel, but I've never taken any vaccinations for it and never had any problems.

Enjoy your holiday

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,369 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vaccinations for Cuba

mad

Couldn't agree more. The wise travellers always takes precautions. Not saying anything will happen but all it takes is one of many people you come in contact or your food does and guess what, you're sick to. Although none are required doesn't mean I don't need to. I can hear the complaining now, if you get my meaning. JMHO.

Cheers

9. Re: Vaccinations for Cuba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 January 2009, 12:59
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vaccinations for Cuba

You are from England and our health professionals see things differently.... They prefer us to have all our basic vacinations before any foreign travel and most GP practices will offer these jabs FREE of charge... Theinformation below is copied from my Inside Pages:-

There are no compulsory vaccinations required for Cuba travel; however, the following vac’s are advisable as a sensible precautionary measure – and may be required to satisfy your Travel Insurance Policy. You will need these vac’s at least 2 weeks prior to travel but preferably at least 2 months prior. These vac’s are available from your GP Surgery/Travel Clinic and are generally offered free of charge. It would be both sensible and advisable to have these ‘basic’ vaccinations no matter where your holidays may take you.

Typhoid - The disease is transmitted from human to human via food or drinking water, and it is therefore mainly hygiene and sanitary conditions that determine its spread.

Hepatitis A - This virus is present in stools passed by infected persons. It can be transmitted via contaminated food, eg. shellfish and ice-cream, as well as contaminated water and beverages. he virus can also be spread through contact with an infected person's stools through poor hygiene.

Diphtheria - This disease is mainly transmitted by droplets from the nose or throat being passed from person to person, eg. by coughing or sneezing. Protection from the disease comes from having antibodies in the blood - which is the purpose of vaccination. The bacteria can easily be passed on by a person who shows no sign of illness, a so-called 'healthy disease carrier'. Diphtheria can also be transmitted by skin-to-skin contact .

Also Tetanus and Polio should be up to date.

Assuming your travel vac’s are not up-to-date, it will be important to have your boosters (within 6 months) of your initial jabs ~ having the boosters will give you 10 years cover with the exception of Typhoid which you have renewed every three years.

Hope this helps you all to make a sensible decision and contact your GP surgery's travel nurse.