We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need an adapter and a converter?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
476 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need an adapter and a converter?

Hi:

I'm travelling to Cuba from Canada in December. I know that I need to get a voltage converter to be able to use some of my electrical items. Do I also need to get an adapter as well?

I'd greatly appreciate any info.

Thanks very much!

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need an adapter and a converter?

You don't mention which resort you're staying at.

The better quality voltage converters come with adaptors (often already built-in).

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,029 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need an adapter and a converter?

Quite a lot of electrical appliances these days are dual voltage and will work on the 220 volts in most Cuban hotels. Check your appliances and if they say: Input: 110v - 240v they will work OK in Cuba without a voltage converter.

The sockets in the hotels will take a North American two pronged flat pin plug so you won't need to take an adapter but if your appliances are not dual voltage then you will need a voltage converter.

If you read my Inside page on electricity you will see the type of sockets in most Cuban hotels. It is primarily written for UK tourists but it will give you an idea:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c104286/Cub…

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
476 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need an adapter and a converter?

Hi:

Thanks for the info. I've checked all of the electrical items I am bringing and it looks as though some are not dual voltage, so I'm going to buy a converter. What happens if I plug an item I'm not sure about into a converter and it didn't need it? Will this damage it?

Thanks again for your help!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,029 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need an adapter and a converter?

Unless it says it is dual voltage on the plug or appliance it will not be. I would imagine if it doesn't need it I'm sure it won't damage it, but I could be wrong.

5. Re: Do I need an adapter and a converter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2010, 00:18