We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how can an american travel to cuba??

lakeville
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
how can an american travel to cuba??

I'm reading that many americans are traveling to cuba.....but how??

I thought travel to cuba was illegal for americans and I even read that if your caught traveling to cuba through a country like canada or mexico you face fines up to 65,000$$.

there is a website called usacubatravel.com that specialize in americans traveling to Cuba.

HOW???

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how can an american travel to cuba??

If you possibly face fines up to $65,000 for traveling to Cuba then what the hall do you want to go to Cuba for? There are so many other caribbean islands to chose from. Only Americans with family ties in Cuba are allowed to go for now. If you're going to go then you better know what you're doing.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,438 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how can an american travel to cuba??

Oh Oh, Here we go!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,521 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how can an american travel to cuba??

1.) "... I'm reading that many Americans are traveling to Cuba.....but how??..."

They are flying to Cuba via a third country like Canada, Mexico, Jamaica, Bahamas, etc. etc. etc.

2.) "... I thought travel to Cuba was illegal for Americans..."

Yes, it is for tourists.

3.) "... and I even read that if your caught traveling to Cuba through a country like Canada or Mexico you face fines up to 65,000$$..."

That is rubbish. No American tourist has ever faced such a ridiculous fine. In any case, for the last few years the OFAC has stopped actively pursuing illegal tourist travel so it's even less of a deal now than it ever was. If some American tourist was actually stupid enough to admit they travelled to Cuba the pre-court settlements are about the same as a really bad speeding ticket and you're left with no record.

Millions of American tourists have "illegally" visited Cuba with no repercussions whatsoever. There's an avalanche of info on the Internet. Start Googling...

Cheers,

Terry

Ireland
Level Contributor
651 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how can an american travel to cuba??

I hope this helps:

cubagrouptour.com/information/…index.html

Port Dover, Canada
Level Contributor
285 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how can an american travel to cuba??

I know of Americans who travel via Canada or Mexico or even the Dominican. It was my understanding that it isn't illegal for Americans to visit Cuba per se, but it is illegal for them to spend money there. Very little difference I know :).

I've never heard of anyone being fined $65 grand for going to Cuba and Cuban officials know not to stamp American passports.

I'm just saying this for the sake of conversation, if you really want to go you better get information from a more qualified source than an internet forum.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how can an american travel to cuba??

luvin..,it IS ILLEGAL for americans to visit Cuba, period. (unless you have family there ) . One cannot honestly expect to visit a foreign country and not spend money there..,just by purchasing plane fare,hotel accomendations,etc you are actually spending money in Cuba. That is just another myth about Cuba.

Edited: 02 January 2010, 19:21
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,521 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how can an american travel to cuba??

1.) "... It was my understanding that it isn't illegal for Americans to visit Cuba per se, but it is illegal for them to spend money there..."

That's a common myth. The US Supreme Court hasn't accepted that argument for years. Fully-hosted (or having someone from another country paying your way) doesn't cut it with the US courts. The simple act of travelling to the Island is an instant presumption of guilt re spending money and that's why the OFAC only has to prove physical presence in Cuba - expenditures are meaningless.

2.) "... I've never heard of anyone being fined $65 grand for going to Cuba..."

That's because it has never happened to a tourist. Never. Average settlment is between $250 - $1,000.

Cheers,

Terry

"... luvin..,it IS ILLEGAL for Americans to visit Cuba, period.."

To be more precise, it's only tourist travel that's illegal. Thousands of Americans visit Cuba on business and tens of thousands of others travel under various OFAC licenses.

Edited: 02 January 2010, 19:26
NYUSA
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: how can an american travel to cuba??

I would love to travel to Cuba, and while it is true that no one has actually been arrested for doing so, I am seriously annoyed that I live in a "free" country and can't travel where I want when I want without a license from the State Dept. I really hate that kind of hypocrisy. I want the freedom to travel to Cuba or any other place that I desire. I want my freedom!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
402 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how can an american travel to cuba??

Sorry if this link has already been posted somewhere. I haven't been on the boards lately.

Do flights to Cuba from Canada avoid American airspace? If they don't, the TSA will probably soon have a list of every person who flies to Cuba out of a Canadian airport. Kind of defeats the purpose of Cuba not stamping our passports. It would also eliminate the "work-around" of Americans flying to Cuba from Canada.

theglobeandmail.com/news/…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: how can an american travel to cuba??

haber, I wouldn't really worry for now at least. As the article clearly notes.....

==============================

"............The council says this would force Canadian airlines to breach either Secure Flight or the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act, a federal privacy law that applies to Canadian companies. An internal Public Safety document prepared last January agrees that sharing such information is “currently prohibited” under the privacy law."

==============================

And with Harper prorugueing Parliament until at least the Spring, any chance of any law being changed is simply not going to happen.