We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warmest spot to go end of January, thinking Holguin???

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
874 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Warmest spot to go end of January, thinking Holguin???

We are looking at going to Holguin the end of January, is this a good choice for it being warm there? We want a decent, inexpensive resort, probably a 3 - 4 star place. Have been to Varadero, Camaguey and Holguin already, haven't tried anywhere else, Leary of booking end of January in case it's too cool but the prices are great for Cuba, we really liked the Holguin area that is why we are thinking of it again....anyone been then and have had good warm weather?? Any help would be appreciated.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Warmest spot to go end of January, thinking Holguin???

Cayo Largo is a great place for beach lovers looking for total R&R. To the resorts suggested by The Budges, I would definitely add the Sol Pelicano, it's a very nice resort, I would not hesitate to recommend it (and it's usually less expensive than the Sol Cayo Largo). Keep in mind that there is nothing luxurious on Cayo Largo, except the beaches!

For more info on this special destination: www.cayolargo.net

If you choose to go to Holguin, I would recommed the Sol Luna Mares without hesitation, the beach is just gorgeous, and with restaurants, activities and washrooms right on the beach, you can spend your whole day there!

Edited: 21 December 2010, 21:13
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Warmest spot to go end of January, thinking Holguin???

santiago

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,481 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Warmest spot to go end of January, thinking Holguin???

Drunk, I was going to say that, as well as Manzanillo.

Be careful what you wish for!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Warmest spot to go end of January, thinking Holguin???

HI there beachbummum!

GF and I always travel the last week of January and we've been to Cuba for 8 staight trips. Always got nice weather with 2 days of rain over all trips combined.It's dry season with nice clear days and the sunny days prevail However here are your safer bets IMHO( been to all):

North coast tends to be colder and you see it in the water temperature but Holguin is OK. Water isn't cold don't worry! We are goin to Holguin this year in January. But not as warm as the carabean side

Carabean side is warmer and water is WARMER: Manzanillo and Santiago are the warmest spots, Trinidad is very close temperature wise but the cultural side of the city makes it a great destination, I highly recomend. The Brisas is the best hotel. I know the area well as I've travelled there 5 times (5 times in January). The beach is Superb also.

Cayo Largo was mentioned in other postings. I haven't been but would not hesitate to go. Friends go regularly in January and temperature doesn't seem to be a problem. I'm told winds are stronger in January and they lift up the sand and make the beach unpleasant some days.

Mazanillo and Santiago are great too! But beaches have dark sand. We prefer white sand beaches but the warmest weather we got over all the trips were in these locations. The Mazanillo water temperature was unbelivably Great the dark sand warms up the water even more.

If you have any questions Pm me or post them on this thread.

Fish

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Santiago de Cuba
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Warmest spot to go end of January, thinking Holguin???

Fish.....just where have you been in Santiago de Cuba? I can assure you that there are light coloured beaches there too. Also the city of Santiago de Cuba is very historical as the former capital of Cuba. This is where it all happened. Please check out the video of the beach posted for Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales on TA. Now is that dark sand? Santiago de Cuba has dark and light sand beaches.......just depends what area you are in. CQ :))))

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
874 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Warmest spot to go end of January, thinking Holguin???

Thanks for your replies! Would like to try Santiago but we can't get 6 am flights there from Toronto when I am looking and I understand the bus ride is almost 2 hours, I don't want to waste my first day in flight and bus and not get to the resort till 9 at night....also do not like to be kicked out of my room by noon and spend my last day waiting to go home. I only like early morning flights that is why I was looking towards Holguin and that the resorts are much closer to the airport. Someday when I can go for two weeks we might try Santiago. I haven't checked out the Amigo Carisol so will do some research on that as well as the flights there. When we have gone to smaller resorts like these we have always had a ton of fun. Thx again!!

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Santiago de Cuba
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Warmest spot to go end of January, thinking Holguin???

What's so nice about the resorts in Santiago de Cuba is that they don't kick you out at noon as the resorts do on the Northside. Also, it's only Los Galeones and Brisas Sierra Mar (both with dark sand beaches) where it will take about 1 1/2 hr. to 2 hours to get to from the airport and only because of the condition of the road. Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales is about 55 minutes from the airport at most and also staying here you'll probably take in the City Tour of Santiago (which I highly recommend) where staying at LG & BSM you will probably forgo it because of the long trip.

I also love the morning flights as you can see the beautiful Sierra Maestra mountains coming into Santiago. Will miss that this year!!!!! Club Amigo.....is 2 hotels Carisol (166 rooms) and Los Corales (144 rooms). As you will notice.......Brisas Sierra Mar doesn't have any reviews since May until it opened up again for the Winter Season as the hotel was closed. All the hotels in Santiago de Cuba have lots of repeat guests during the high season. Do come and visit our beautiful part of the country one year....the mountains and sea take your breath away. Been enjoying this part of Cuba since the late 90's and while I visit other parts.......I keep coming back. every year. CQ :)))))

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Warmest spot to go end of January, thinking Holguin???

You could try Trinidad. It's on the Caribbean side, there's early departures with Sunwing on Wednesdays and Canjet on the weekends. You fly into Cienfuegos (1 hour bus ride) or Santa Clara (2+ hours bus ride). Most flights are through Cienfuegos. Also a beautiful white sand beach (Playa Ancon) with only 2 hotels on it, the Brisas Trinidad being the nicer one. Bonus that Trinidad is 10 minutes away.

:)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Warmest spot to go end of January, thinking Holguin???

Sorry Coral Queen!

You are correct. We were at the Brisas Sierra Mar. I wasn't precise at all in my assesment of Santiago's Beaches. Oups! It's a great area however and the Sierra Mar mountains are breathraking for sure. I know Santiago is a cultural area. Never stated it wasn't! Apart from the above mentioned error I don't think your area of choice was put down in any way. I'm no Destination Expert on that area having been there only 1 time. Guess that's why you are there CQ.

Fish

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
874 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Warmest spot to go end of January, thinking Holguin???

Is Trinidad as warm in the winter months as Santiago? Just wondering as it is more north? I really appreciate all these replies, it is helping a lot!! Thx!