We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year to visit Cuba

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best time of year to visit Cuba

Hi, thinking of Cuba for some time in 2012 could anyone reccommend the best time of year to plan a trip?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
94,546 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba

This question often crops up. I try to avoid the summer months of June, July and August because it's too hot for me. I prefer travelling during the UK winter months so as to avoid the long, cold dark nights, and the weather, in the UK.

Here is a link to one of the several similar discussions on this topic:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147275-i99-k876…

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,378 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba

Personally I prefer May to October although July and August can be VERY HOT (and expensive due to school holidays). I think from April the weather becomes more settled and gets hotter as the weeks pass by....humidity rises too!!

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Santiago de Cuba
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba

I myself prefer a Winter Break and that is during Jan. & Feb. and I found the best place to be on the island at that time is in Santiago de Cuba. Still hot without getting overly humid....but definitely can feel the humidity rising in Feb. Being on the Caribbean side the sea is also warmer then the Atlantic Ocean in those months. From 3 weeks we have now worked out holidays up to 4 weeks for 2012.

In November we like to experience other parts of Cuba on the northside and usually find the weather hot, humid with the odd shower except for our experience in 2008 when it rained a lot.....so we took advantage of ever little bit of sunshine and even swam in the pool in the rain. This year we were in Trinidad de Cuba on the southside and the usual for November.....hot, humid and with a couple of days that it rained for a hour or so during our week. Apparently, it also poured for about 90 minutes when we were up in the mountains (Topes de Collantes Tour) but we didn't get any there. Lucky us! CQ :))))

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
921 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba

Any day, any time !!!!!!....lol

southern ontario
Level Contributor
886 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba

We went to Cayo Guillermo in January once and it was too cool to swim, so I wouldn't recommend Jan or Feb. Any other month works! I've been in the spring, summer and fall.

I used to think people were crazy to go to the Caribbean in the summer but now that I've tried it, I think I'm hooked. It sure beats a previously unseen cottage rental in Northern Ontario.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Santiago de Cuba
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba

Susierotolo......Santiago de Cuba is one of the hottest spots in Cuba and you can definitely go there in January and February.....and I am sure Scoots can back me up on that. You'll not find me on the other side of the island in Jan. or Feb. either. Been going since '98 to Santiago and I can say we have had the best hot weather on the island. CQ :))))

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba

April May are my favorite months, Not too hot just right!

Barnstaple, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba

Is Cuba affected by the hurricane season?

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,096 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba

"Is Cuba affected by the hurricane season?"

Most definitely! Usually from late August to November is the most active time. I have had some really good trips to Cuba in the fall.......fabulous weather......and also two trips impacted by hurricanes, both in 2008. I like to book last minute at that time of year, so I know what the weather is likely to be. Learned my lesson! ;-)

southern ontario
Level Contributor
886 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time of year to visit Cuba

That's good to know Coral Queen. Thanks!