We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cholera Outbreak

New York
4 posts
Save Topic
Cholera Outbreak

Traveling to Havana Cuba in 21 days. Anyone else concerned about the Cholera Outbreak and the limited official information from the Cuban government?

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
6,212 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cholera Outbreak

There are already one or two threads on this subject.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,273 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cholera Outbreak

“There are already one or two threads on this subject.”

Here is the link to a recent thread:

“http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k5559919-Cholera_in_granma-Cuba.html - 42038794”

and here is the link to a recent BBC article:

bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18758325

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,273 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cholera Outbreak

Oops, Sorry. I made an error and the url didn’t hyperlink correctly. Try this:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k555991… - 42038794

As well, there is an article posted today with a tad of an update, but basically nothing new:

thonline.com/news/national_world/article_839…

Miami Lakes, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cholera Outbreak

The Cuban government has informed of a Cholera epidemic and more than 3000 cases of " Acute Diarrhea" that has not been identified in clear terms. The official press informed about 85 cases of Cholera, but the rest of the thousands of cases of diarrhea have not been linked by the authorities to any agent. These error leaves numerous questions about the Cuban Health Ministery (MINSAP) seriousness and has risen suspiction of a cover up of epidemiological data to avoid scaring potential tourists to the island. These has been the opinion of Ileana Ros Lethinen from the US Congress. It would be recommended to avoid traveling to the eastern part of the island where the epidemic has impacted most and to obtain a vaccination againts cholera after the appropriate medical consultations before traveling. Haiti, geographically next to Cuba, is still facing the worst Cholera epidemic in modern times. Visit the CDC website www.Cdc.gov/cholera/general for more information in how to avoid Cholera infection, symptoms and treatments.

Edited: 11 July 2012, 22:40
Eleuthera
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cholera Outbreak

Ileana Ros Lethinen is a republican politician born in Havana and currently living in Florida. Gheeez, I wonder if her views will be in the slight bit biased against anything the Cuban gov't claims????? Sorry but she is not a source that I will personally go to for accurate information on this subject.

Similarly, at the other end, the Cuban rag Granma doesn't seem to be saying anything about this subject which I guess makes them just as useless.

---------------------------------------------------------

"It would be recommended to avoid traveling to the eastern part of the island where the epidemic has impacted most...."

And from link you have provided.........

Should I Be Worried About Getting Cholera From Others?

The disease is not likely to spread directly from one person to another; therefore, casual contact with an infected person is not a risk for becoming ill.

How Can I Avoid Getting Cholera?

The risk for cholera is very low for people visiting areas with epidemic cholera. When simple precautions are observed, contracting the disease is unlikely. Drink only bottled, boiled, or chemically treated water and bottled or canned carbonated beverages. When using bottled drinks, make sure that the seal has not been broken. Avoid tap water, fountain drinks, and ice cubes.

Wash your hands often with soap and clean water. If no water and soap are available, use an alcohol-based hand cleaner (with at least 60% alcohol).

Clean your hands especially before you eat or prepare food and after using the bathroom. Use bottled, boiled, or chemically treated water to wash dishes, brush your teeth, wash and prepare food, or make ice. Eat foods that are packaged or that are freshly cooked and served hot. Do not eat raw and undercooked meats and seafood or unpeeled fruits and vegetables.

I plan to be in Manzanillo this autumn. According to CDC link article you provided, I shouldn't have to worry if I am careful and prepared.

Edited: 11 July 2012, 23:14
Miami Lakes, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cholera Outbreak

Epidemic of cholera in Cuba may spread without even the population being informed. According to worldwide press the government has not disclosed all the cases of cholera probably imported from Haiti by Cuban medical personel. There is a risk of the disease becoming endemic: this means becoming part of the diseases that a person may acquire in a simple vacation trip. Cholera is contagious and it is already endemic in countries like Bangladesh and India. It cause death by dehydration, meningitis and shock. Cholera do not respect ages, believes or whealth. Tchaikovski died from cholera, so Clar von Clausewick. It would be wise to avoid risks, especially for children, older individuals, and person affected by other conditions. Consult your doctor before traveling and keep yourself informed from trusted sources. empowher.com/cholera/content/cuba-cholera-ou… This is a serious matter about health and risks of dying. Do not get tangled in politics.

Miami Lakes, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cholera Outbreak

huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/09/cuba-cholera-o… More about Cuban cholera. Stay informed.

Miami Lakes, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cholera Outbreak

Cuban cholera reaches Havana...this doesn't sound like a vacation to me.

bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18758325

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,229 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cholera Outbreak

Got any actual up to date information? All of the above has been noted previously on this forum.

Miami Lakes, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cholera Outbreak

newsmax.com/Newsfront/…445057 Cuba has not provided World Health Organization office in Havana with more updates about the Cholera epidemics.