We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuba vs. Dominican Republic

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
Cuba vs. Dominican Republic
Save

My boyfriend and I (and possibly a few other friends) are looking for an all inclusive trip and cant decide between DR and Cuba !

We are looking to go sometime in January and don't want to spend more then $1500 each, but would like a 4-5 star all inclusive resort. Wondering which destination you would recommend for us and which resort you would recommend also.

We want to relax on a beautiful beach, yet have our options to drink during the day, do as many activities as possible that the resort offers, party and enjoy the night life.(we are pretty active young people in our early 20's)

Ive heard that cuba feels safer and is more friendlier then DR. But people say that Cuba is dirtier and "doesnt have good tasting food" Hope someone can give me some good advice on where to go!

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Cuba vs. Dominican Republic
Save

would also love to try surfing.. (nothing too extreme) but ive heard there are small surfing classes along some of the beaches. whether thats included in the all inclusive resort or not i would be interested in paying extra to try it!

Bear River, Canada
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
7 reviews
25 helpful votes
2. Re: Cuba vs. Dominican Republic
Save

Have been to the DR 5 times and Cuba the last 3 years. We enjoyed Dominican but love Cuba. Of course we are a little older than you young people but we did the para-sailing, boogie boarding, horse back riding, speed boats, jet skis, dune buggy, ATV trips in Dominican. Punta Cana is the best place to go there, nicer beaches than Puerto Plata. We stayed in the Grand Palladium Punta Cana(4 star) and the Royal Suites Turquesa(5 star Adults Only). There is also the Grand Palladium Bavero and Gran Palladium Palace in this complex. You can stay in one and enjoy the amenities of all three except for the Turquesa. If you stay in the Adults only, you can go anywhere anytime throughout the resort. PM me if you want any specific info.

Cuba is safer than a lot of places but I have never heard of a Canadian having trouble in the DR unless they went looking for it. Common sense goes a long way. There is more night life away from resorts in the DR but all resorts have discos for night life also. We find the people of Cuba so genuinely friendly and that is why we keep going back.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Cuba vs. Dominican Republic
Save

did you find many locals in DR that were pestering you to buy things from them or was it pretty good in DR for that?

I am still torn between the two places, both seem nice and from what I've read several people lean towards Cuba because the people there are genuine and friendly to deal with as you've said. First time going on vacation outside of canada for my boyfriend and I, so would like to gather as much info as possible about vacationing in both places. Thanks for your input !

Edited: 11 years ago
London, Canada
Level Contributor
614 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Cuba vs. Dominican Republic
Save

For sure you get pestered more in DR from my experience and yes I believe Cuba to be safer than DR..use common sense anywhere however..Resorts may be more upscale overall in DR and food a bit better but...Cuba has a vibe...oh and by the way..Cuba is not dirtier than DR..go outside the resort in the Dr and see what I mean.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
181,871 posts
59 reviews
102 helpful votes
5. Re: Cuba vs. Dominican Republic
Save

I was pestered to death by the locals off resort especially in Sosua. Even a polite 'No gracias' didn't stop them. I had visited the DR 6 times before I first went to Cuba. I have never returned to the DR since.

In the main the people in Cuba are very friendly and it's because of the friendships that I have built up with them over the years that I keep returning.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
614 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
6. Re: Cuba vs. Dominican Republic
Save

Spot on about Sosua...same with me Cuba 9 times since!

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
802 posts
17 reviews
51 helpful votes
7. Re: Cuba vs. Dominican Republic
Save

Both your points about both Countries is true, a 5 star in Cuba is at most a 4 star anywhere else. If it' a party that is important, I would go with the Punta Cana, while you can find places that are hopping around Varadero, most of the resorts have little to no lightlife ( exceptions like the Solymar and other 4*'s)

Cuba is great for really having a different experience but it also takes an open mind to enjoy because it does push many visitors comfort zones, as seen in many 1st time visitors reviews.

Punta Cana is fun without the culture shock.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
181,871 posts
59 reviews
102 helpful votes
8. Re: Cuba vs. Dominican Republic
Save

At 7am every morning in Banes, the town where I stay in Cuba, workmen are out sweeping the streets. Refuse is collected daily and the town is always kept very clean.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
9. Re: Cuba vs. Dominican Republic
Save

Not looking for too much of a party but leaning more towards sightseeing off the resort possibly for a day or two. and activities at the resort such as snorkeling, sailing, windsurfing, surfing, beach volleyball, horseback riding etc. I want to make the trip and money worthwhile as I don't get to travel too often. So would love to maybe see things off the resort that are hopefully close by aswell maybe zip-lining or a hike to a waterfall or anything else interesting to check out .. Anything along those lines would be perfect, there's so much researching online involved that it's overwhelming would rather get info from you guys who have input because you've been there!

Northleach, United...
Level Contributor
713 posts
64 reviews
84 helpful votes
10. Re: Cuba vs. Dominican Republic
Save

I've been to Dominican Republic and Cuba and I would choose Cuba over DR every time! The hotel in DR was 5 star and one of the best I've ever visited, but there was just something about the place I didn't really like. I didn't feel safe leaving the hotel and going into the town, we were followed and hassled the whole time. Also I find the people in Cuba are much more friendlier than DR.

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.