We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

I am debating whether to use a Canadian group called "Cuba Explorer" to secure a 8 day education tour of Havana and I think a national park. They have been diligent in answering my questions, etc. I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with this operation out of Vancouver? Tried to do a google search regarding reviews but nothing valid came up.

Thanks!

451 replies to this topic
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
341. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

A+ Rating for CubaExplorer

I travel a lot and to make most of my arrangements myself, but when the opportunity came to fly to Cuba for $296 round-trip from Rochester New York, and I only had a few days to prepare, I contacted this agency. I was immediately impressed with the prompt reply I had received from the travel consultant, Carlos. To clarify some of my specific wishes, even received a call from the main office in Havana Cuba! The eight days that I spent there couldn’t have run more smoothly. I had a private tour… That is, a private guide and driver during entire time I was there. My stay was at a bed-and-breakfast that they arranged and it was delightful. I would highly recommend this company.

Attached is the letter that I forwarded to Carlos regarding my recent trip:

This is just a quick note to let you know that I had an absolutely wonderful time in Cuba during the past week. Nothing could have run more smoothly! My guide, Ivia, was knowledgeable, caring, kind and most gracious during the entire stay. Her expertise was complemented by an equally wonderful driver, Santiago. Nothing seemed to be too much for them to do for me!! Both deserve A++ ratings. Please pass along my greetings to both.

My stay at Casa D’Sol was comfortable; hostess Mayra was welcoming and friendly… and provided a wonderful breakfast for me each day! The lunches that we had each day we’re truly gourmet… with a good variety, wonderful new tastes and beautiful settings in excellent restaurants.

Thanks again to you and all of the people who made my stay in Cuba so memorable. I do plan to write a more thorough evaluation of each part of the trip, but that will be done much later :-). Right now, I am already endorsing your programs to my friends, hopeful that I may return to Cuba with them in the near future.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
342. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

My husband and I just returned from our weekend in Cuba. Cuba Explorer is an outstanding tour company. We were absolutely thrilled that we selected them for our trip. Their communication prior to the tour was outstanding. All questions or concerns that we had were addressed immediately. Upon arrival, we were greeted by our driver who transported us from the airport to Havana. The hotel was in a perfect location. Our guide, Judy, was fantastic! She was extremely friendly and her English was perfect. There was no question that we asked that she could not answer. Her knowledge of Cuba's history was outstanding. The tours of all of the sights were extremely well organized. In one weekend we were able to see all of the main highlights of beautiful Havana. The arrangements for all of the transportation was equally organized. We not only saw the sights but were able to experienced and learn about Cuba's culture and people . Two additional reasons to select Cuba Explorer: 1.The tour group never exceeds 12 people [ours had 9] 2. The cost is very reasonable compared to other tour companies and everything was totally included in the price of the tour. There are no surprises! My husband and I would highly recommend Cuba Explorer to anyone who is traveling to this beautiful island. We are anxious to return in the near future.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1 post
207 reviews
343. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

I just spent 10 days in Cuba utilizing "Cuba Explorer". Eight days staying in private homes (vs a hotel) tour (primarily Havana and Trinidad, and 2 days post tour in Havana itself). The private homes let me interact with the local people more I felt. My tour guide (Osmin) spoke very good English, and he and my driver were willing to go and see/visit anything I wanted to on the way, including some unscheduled stops (like half a day at the beach). I had a great time, felt safe walking around, and the people of Cuba are very friendly. I'd recommend utilizing both Cuba Explorer and visiting Cuba in general to almost anyone. I'm so sorry that our current administration has put so many restrictions on Cuba - Castro is dead, get over it Trump, and let the Cuban people thrive...

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
31 reviews
344. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

Joel ???

''I'm so sorry that our current administration has put so many restrictions ''...…..surprise.....they haven't....as a matter of fact hardly any changes at all. Most Americans go independently and just choose the reason '' support for Cuban people''......Unfortunately, some tour groups , including this one, mislead, lie, to take advantage of the confusion. The trip you took was not any more legal, than the ones others take, for probably half the price.

To late for you, but wanted to give heads up for others who are being mislead.

Glad you enjoyed Cuba !!

Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
345. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

I've been organizing overseas trips for artists since 1993 and have started bringing groups to Cuba about 5 years ago. Since then I've turned on hundreds of Americans to the pleasures of Cuba. And each time I go ONLY with Cuba Explorer. I can say with no hesitation that I will never go with anyone else. And why would I? They have come through for me and my clients in so many ways. Two years ago I brought 100 artists to Cuba for a painting trip and it was incredible how well organized Cuba Explorer was in their arrangements with the Cuban local guides of San Cristobal. We had 4 charter buses with 2 local guides on each one. The itineraries were staggered so that each group of 25 had the same support and planned events as every other group of 25. It was a minor miracle! I am going back again with them in 2019 and can't wait.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
346. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

Hi - I worked very closely with Cuba Explorer to bring a group of 8 to Havana in May 2018 (we are all from the U.S.). We even had to change our entire trip as we were originally arriving the same week that the hurricane hit the island.

I cannot say enough good things about working with Cuba Explorer but most specifically with Julio who was my point of contact on all planning and Claudia who was my tour guide while in Havana. Julio was professional, responsive and flexible. They arranged hotel space, tours, meals and shows for us. My group included several people who had been to Cuba before and all had very high expectations, but Cuba Explorer exceeded them. I am happy to answer more questions should you be interested. I also highly recommend Ivan Chef Justo for lunch and staying at the Hotel Gran Kempinski (both of which were recommendations from Cuba Explorer).

2 posts
1 review
347. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

We just went on a weekend tour of Havanah with Cuba Explorer. Faboulous tour. We got a real good taste of Cuba and their culture. Very educational. Our tour guide Ari was phenomenal. Very personable. Highly recommend Cuba Explorer. You will not be disappointed.

2 posts
1 review
348. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

We just went on a weekend tour of Havanah with Cuba Explorer. Fabulous tour. We got a real taste of Cuba and their culture. Very educational. Our tour guide Ari was phenomenal. Very personable. Everyone was very welcoming. Very interested in talking to us as we were interested in talking to them. Highly recommend Cuba Explorer. You will not be disappointed.

349. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2018, 06:34

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
31 reviews
350. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

@349.... Thank you.... I have been busting this group out for a long time, with their outright lies on their website ...telling Americans they cannot travel independently.....every other post is a shill or fake post ( @348)

just to keep this thread going....Why it is allowed, I have no idea.

Reply to: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted