We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
21 helpful votes
Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

I am debating whether to use a Canadian group called "Cuba Explorer" to secure a 8 day education tour of Havana and I think a national park. They have been diligent in answering my questions, etc. I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with this operation out of Vancouver? Tried to do a google search regarding reviews but nothing valid came up.

Thanks!

Barium Springs...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
1 helpful vote
461. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

Yes! Do It! we just returned from a Birding Trip with Cuba Explorer and it wAs the best! Lots of variety, great places to stay ( occSIONAL COLD SHOWERS) BUT JUST WONDERFUL IN ALL! We put over 1500 miles on that bus. Tough driving conditions but our driver was great! We had 8 Americans in our group.

Erie, Pennsylvania
1 post
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
462. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

Cuba Explorer is not a Canadian Group, it's Cuban. We, 6 people from Erie,Pa and 2 from Portland,Or used it for a birdwatching tour March 16-26. The pre tour information on the website, email and phone call was thorough and very helpful. We had 2 guides (Xochitl for the birds, Osmin for logistics and general information) and a safe driver, Bruno. The guides, lodgings, food, and schedule were excellent. We got a good view of the 150+ species of birds and good information about the country. This group and tour was reccommended by birdwatcher friends who used it 2 years ago. We are very happy we followed their advice.

463. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

Very professional, easy to deal with, no surprises, entry form Miami to Havana via American Airlines quite easy, our guide accommodated our interests and concerns. I have no reservations about recommending this company.

1 post
464. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

Ok, exhale and relax. Cuba is the safest country south of Florida. So put aside anything you’ve heard about Cuba, and go, go with Cuba Explorer. It’s the people that make a country a culture. Cubans are the warmest most welcoming people. And it starts the moment you meet your guide. Ask the questions, there are so many misconception and misunderstanding that you will put aside as soon as your journey begins. You will walk the streets to learn of 500 years of rich history. Your driver will take you to places where time has stood still, yet it will take you back to a moment in time when our world was a different place and mind set. The dining stops are amazing. Enjoy these break out Cuban entrepreneurs serving you a taste of their country and in many cases in their home. The old cars, yes they are beautiful as a relic in our eyes, yet each is a daily driver and in service everyday. These works are a testament to the ingenuity of the Cuban people to rebuild and make a lot with a little. Drink Mojitos and smoke cigars. You can relay on Cuba Explorer to provide you a memorable trip of a life time. We are fresh off the plane from 4 days in Havana. We will do it again.

465. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

Last year I took a 4 day Weekend in Havana trip with Cuba Explorer. It was absolutely amazing. Our guide, Susana was super smart, super nice, and answered all of our questions. The jam-packed tour of Cuban history, culture, and arts was absolutely fascinating. The food was really good. This was a big surprise because I am vegan and figured my choices would be really limited. But our guide, upon her own initiative, made sure there were always options at each of the wonderful restaurants we visited. The breakfast buffet at the Hotel Capri was great! I REALLY appreciated that there were far more options than I had imagined including non-dairy milk choices.

We saw the Buena Vista social club show, Ernest Hemingway's house, toured the Havana Rum factory, had coffee and conversation with a History Professor about Cuban society and politics, and visited the fantastic Fusterlandia where artist Jose Fuster has created a neighborhood filled with gorgeous mosaic artworks. Our tour included a ride in the old cars for which Havana is famous. I thought that was going to be super corny until I learned we were riding the same car that our first lady Michelle Obama rode in. That changed everything!

Our small group got along very well and I have remained friends with several of the other guests. The Hotel NH Capri is a beautiful old-school hotel with a stunning rooftop pool and restaurant just one block from the historic Hotel National where we spent one evening listening to the ocean and drinking mojitos. Everyone we met was incredibly friendly. I highly recommend this trip to anyone wanting an authentic, educational, and amazing experience forging relationships and connecting peoples from different countries. The Weekend in Havana tour far exceeded my expectations and I would go back to Cuba in a heartbeat.

Jibacoa, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,485 posts
466. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

"Our tour included a ride in the old cars for which Havana is famous. I thought that was going to be super corny until I learned we were riding the same car that our first lady Michelle Obama rode in. That changed everything!"

Haha, that musta been a real " feel good " moment

Chris

Vilassar de mar
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
15 helpful votes
467. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

I see all the other replies are old, but we just came back from Cuba on April 26th. Cuba Explorer is a wonderful tour group. Arlene, our tour guide, met us at the airport and from that moment on we had no problems, a Cuban native guide with fluent English, a big smile, and the know-how and experience to make all our plans flow smoothly. The group was small, 6 people, which is good for seeing things on time and without a big tour bus and crowds of people. The itinerary was a perfect mix of interesting activities and free time to enjoy Cuba. Highly recommended!

1 post
468. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

I just came back from Cuba and the country and the people were wonderful. Cuba Explorer was wonderful from the time they picked us up at the airport until they dropped us back off to return home. Osmin, our tour guide was extremely nice and very knowledgeable about the arts, the culture and the history of Cuba. He went out of his way to make our trip truly memorable. I hope to return to Cuba again someday and would use Cuba Explorer.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
56 posts
70 reviews
38 helpful votes
469. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

Just got back from a fantastic long weekend in Havana with Cuba Explorer. Highly recommend. The guides are locals, who give an honest glimpse of Cuba and it's people- from music and art, to history and current struggles, to architecture and food. We've never been on a tour before- we usually like to find our own way- but we're so glad we did this. We could never have done and learned all these things on our own.

1 post
470. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

I just returned from a 5 night 6 day licensed trip to Havana. It was amazing. The people, culture, history, food and music were awesome. Our tour guide, Claudia, was so knowledgeable and spoke English extremely well. I had an absolutely wonderful experience and adventure.

© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.