We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is cuba a good safe place for two middle aged women?

London
Level Contributor
570 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is cuba a good safe place for two middle aged women?

After saving for ages we are going on holiday in October for my friend's 50th birthday. We have found a holiday staying at the Comodoro Bungalows B&B in Havana and then the Bella Costa AI at Varadero. We don't know much about Cuba but will have to book soon to get the price we want so before I book any advice would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

Ali

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is cuba a good safe place for two middle aged women?

Cuba is perfectly safe with the usual precautions you would take in any country. I am female, older than you, and travel there solo all the time. Read the reviews and get an idea of the places you are considering. Happy travels!

London
Level Contributor
570 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is cuba a good safe place for two middle aged women?

Thank you so much for the prompt reply, that has put our minds at rest.

Ali

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is cuba a good safe place for two middle aged women?

eeeefarm is correct and I am happy your mind is at ease.

You are aware that the Comodoro Bungalows is not in Havana but in a suburb.

It is not near the historic centre, museums or galleries. I would not want you to feel isolated during you celebration.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is cuba a good safe place for two middle aged women?

With this being your 1st trip to Cuba & also from your post it seems like you are a bit uncertain about the travel.... Would you concider an all-inclusive?

eeeefarm has been going to Cuba for quite some time.....and I believe many years enjoys an all-inclusive ..

We also like the all-inclusive route as we then know our costs and we vacation in Cuba we go to relax with a dash or two of exploring .

montreal
Level Contributor
616 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is cuba a good safe place for two middle aged women?

Havana is indeed a safe place for you, make sure you do a little research on the Comodoro it is in the suburbs of Havana. The area is nice and I enjoy it but it is a little bit far from the action.

The area itself does have its attractions the Embassy district is close by and Havanas best paladars are very close to Comodoro

Edited: 07 January 2012, 08:54
Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is cuba a good safe place for two middle aged women?

I don't know if this is an issue at all in Cuba, so don't attack me if it is non existent. What I can tell you is that you should become aware of what a Sanky is and how they operate. If not for Cuba, then for other south destinations you may go to, like Dominican Republic. You are most likely to see them as a member of the animation team or a bartender at an all inclusive. Their prime target is middle aged to older women traveling alone. Google Sanky Panky for more information. They certainly exist in the Dominican, and that term may only be used in the Dominican, but I'm sure the activity is not limited to that country. See this link for more detail.

http://dr1.com/articles/sankies.shtml

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is cuba a good safe place for two middle aged women?

Hi,

There is no problem at all. I have done it many times myself.

Have a good trip.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is cuba a good safe place for two middle aged women?

Nothing to worry about !........My sister turned 60 last year and as a surprise I gave her flight tickets from Toronto to Holguin and Santa Clara to Toronto.

Between Holguin and Santa Clara I organised hotels in Holguin, Las Tunas, Camaguey and Santa Clara for her. She used Viazul for transportation between these cities. She was on her own ( with exception of Camaguey, where I surprised her at the bar in her hotel with my presence) and she is usually a person which is worried about things all the time. Nobody ever bothered her during her 10 day trip ( other then me...her own brother...in Camaguey...LOL) and she never ever felt scared or worried.

You will have the time of your life in Havana and Varadero ! ENJOY !

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is cuba a good safe place for two middle aged women?

Personally, I take offense that you consider 50 to be middle age. Now that I'm 54 I consider 60 to 65 to be middle age.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is cuba a good safe place for two middle aged women?

I have to agree with donnalee - turning 51 in a couple of weeks and I'm feeling rather spry! - - - for my age ;)

I've read that 50 is the new 30!