We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts for children

Scottsdale, Arizona
1 post
Save Topic
Gifts for children

Is it a good idea or helpful to bring small gifts for children, like school supplies?

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,208 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Gifts for children

When I was on my trip, at one stop there were many children around and a few members of our group gave them candy so that they would pose for pictures.

While the candy was appreciated by the children (like it would be anywhere), I kept thinking that had I been their parents, I would not have appreciated strangers giving my children so much candy.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Gifts for children

Many of the parents in my Havana neighbourhood would have gone berserk on the idiot turons giving candy to their kids without permission, and rightfully so. How in the world would your guide allow that behaviour to happen? Unbelievable...

Cheers,

Terry

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
417 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Gifts for children

My experience is that the guides do nothing to stop it. I was on one bus excursion from resort, and one couple suddenly brought out bags full of "stuff" and started handing out to all the kids waiting begging by the bus where it stopped (some actually with moms waiting in the background to "collect"... middle of the day/school day...)... a lot of the other people on the bus were visibly uncomfortable, which I guess is a good thing... and the tour guides on the bus were also clearly uncomfortable and against it if you glanced over at them - however, they just let the couple off the bus to do as they pleased with no more than a displeased but resigned look which I'm sure the couple themselves wouldn't have noticed. Maybe it's a "don't upset the tourists" type of thing... or less tip for them, etc?

Edited: 11 April 2012, 20:12
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Gifts for children

Tourists rule, even the stupid ones. The locals who work within the tourist industry can't do anything except roll their eyes and make comments behind the the tourist's backs that would make you blush with embarrassment.

My Havana neighbourhood CDR has passed a bylaw that would allow the police to issue warning tickets and fine the worst offenders, but it'll never happen - the tourist dollar rules above all else.

Cheers,

Terry

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
417 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Gifts for children

Unfortunate since these are the very people who could have an impact - vs. non-Cubans on TA trying sometimes in vain to explain these things. And it could easily be done in proactively in an "educational" sense, like for example included in the initial schpiels at the start of excursions etc, then it never gets to the point of having to confront individuals in the act... not like tourists would suddenly stop travelling to Cuba if the tourist industry stepped up to the plate on this... although I suppose the black market would suffer!

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Gifts for children

problem is that the black market is flooded with the same dollar store crap week after week ( school supplies included) that the stuff sells for next to nothing any ways..

Give your donations to a church or a proper organization.

As a parent i don't want strangers giving my kid anything.... would you want your kid taking stuff from strangers (even with your good intentions)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
863 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Gifts for children

When on a safari jeep tour in the Dominican Republic a few years ago, we stopped at a "traditional" farmhouse and inside, the tour company was selling big bags of candy for you to use to give candy to kids along the way.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
417 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Gifts for children

"When on a safari jeep tour in the Dominican Republic a few years ago, we stopped at a "traditional" farmhouse and inside, the tour company was selling big bags of candy for you to use to give candy to kids along the way."

-- This reminds me of buying the baggies of food to feed the animals at the zoo.... except we're talking about fellow human beings here...

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
863 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Gifts for children

Ain't that the truth!

20. Re: Gifts for children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 07:41