We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few Questions

North Bergen, New...
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Few Questions

Hey guys,

I've posted before on lonelyplanet great place,, just need to get additional feedback - im nearing in on traveling to cuba for family in late june.

Flight

I am planning my flight out of Montreal (MTL) Airport, via Cubana Airlines - how good is this airport, how good is Cubana Airlines - are they on time out of MTL? I will be booking the flight via Cuba Travel Network for about $600 round trip.

Cell Phone

I have a 900mhz android phone and a FIDO sim card that I use when i go up to Montreal - If I load $100 will I be able to use this in Cuba (i.e receive free sms) and 60c to send i guess to canada only? or can i send locally and us? I see Fido has intl travel packs $50 for 250 sms, it excludes cuba however i read posts that people have been successul. Do I have to call FIDO and activate Cuba manually?

Internet in Cuba

I know that one can go to certain hotels for computer use, however I am wondering if there is WIFI in Havana at a restaurant or hotel, I don't mind paying.

Thanks!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few Questions

Flight: I really can't say how good Cubana is out the Montreal airport with regards to delays as I have never flown with them out of that airport. I have used them several times between Havana and Toronto and really don't have anything bad to say, Only thing is the flight times are not always the best to and from Toronto.

Cell Phone: You wont have to call Fido to activate Cuba, As long as your phone runs on GSM 900 you will be able to roam on the Cubacel network. With regards to Travel packs I have heard many conflicting stories, I would simply go with the mind set that it wont work using the travel pack feature.

Internet: You will find WIFI access available at many hotels through out Havana, Best Wifi Access I have found was at Melia Cohiba, Melia Habana and Saratoga. BTW Which hotel are you staying at? You may have access right at your hotel?

North Bergen, New...
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few Questions

Well I will be staying with family when I am down there,

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,521 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few Questions

Unless your family is seriously connected be sure to get your Family Visa sorted as soon as you arrive. Havana used to be very lax about this, but since the new regulations regarding private business came into effect people are much more sensitive about illegal stays.

Cheers,

Terry

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few Questions

Montréal-Trudeau airport is a major Canadian airport. I don't think you will be short on any standard airport amenities here of any sort. www.admtl.com/Passengers/AtAGlance.aspx

I highly doubt that Cubana service is much different in Montreal than Toronto. I've never had any issues with them (great Cuban staff) although the on-board meal is somewhat on the scrawny side. One of your "no-frills" airlines that 'll get you there, whether it will be on schedule though is anybodies guess.

Departures page; admtl.com/Passengers/…

Ca.
Level Contributor
293 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Few Questions

Sorry to intrude on your post! I'm going to Havana in June as well with a group from my church, we had a Cuba meeting yesterday. They told us there is no cell service for phones PERIOD. So I'm now confused reading this post. Can someone please explain?

Ty in advance.

Elly

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Few Questions

Well that may be for American cell phones..

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,449 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Few Questions

As far as I'm aware US phone providers have no agreement with Cubacel so they are blocked for use in Cuba. Pretty much the same as why no US credit card works.

Furthermore Cubacel operate on GSM900 frequency so not all Canadian phones work there either.

Ca.
Level Contributor
293 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Few Questions

Thank you so much, now I understand. So I will bring my cell phone to use as my camera as well as to connect to internet when available.

TY!!!!!

North Bergen, New...
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Few Questions

yea im used to getting the A2 while in cuba

North Bergen, New...
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Few Questions

@twinkiletoes91...

1.check your phone on GSMARENA to ensure it supports GSM900MHZ

2.ensure your handset is SIM Unlocked, call your carrier for details

---

Service Options in Cuba

1. FIDO Service

Free SMS Recieve, 60c to send worldwide, $3 per min

You can buy Kit on Ebay for $10, and you can load with $50 great for Text

They may have International Text Plans however not sure if works on PPD.

2. CubaCel

FREE SMS Recieve World, 15c to send local, $1 to send world , free incoming intl calls, calls in cuba are 40c in and out during day, and 10c late night 11p-6a.

Sim Card is $10 + $3 per day "most convenient for communication in cuba."