We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

King ranch excursion

The Pas, Canada
9 posts
Save Topic
King ranch excursion

Does anyone know if this is still a happening thing or will it be in Jan? Has anyone been to this and what does the excursion consist of?

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,383 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: King ranch excursion

I haven't done this excursion but I did talk to one of the wranglers who hitched a ride on the airport bus in May.. He had excellent English, and we had an interesting chat about the ranch and about horses. I believe the excursion is still offered. Might be worth taking.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,485 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: King ranch excursion

wasn't on in low season june so you should inquire from your travel rep. carol e.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: King ranch excursion

King ranch tour:

Rancho King, (Sunday) price 29.00 cuc departure 9:00 am

"Discover our King ranch, where you will find traditional country sightseeing and assist to an amazing rodeo show. Explore nature through horseback riding, visit the village. Enjoy a typical Cuban lunch and delicious welcome cocktail. You have your own time to relax and walk around"

This was in March, so should be offered in high season (Jan) not sure if it will still be on Sunday though.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,274 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: King ranch excursion

It was closed for a few years and was re opened a couple of years ago. It's hit or miss.

It was pretty good back in 1995.. lol. I haven't been back since. Part of our group went Jan 2010. They had a good time.

When I went I opted not to watch the rodeo, my hubby and kids went and watched it. I was afraid to see someone get hurt or a little calf when it was being wrangled.

Apparently Fidel stayed in the house on the property after it was taken from the American that owned it back in the day.

toronto
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: King ranch excursion

I attended this excursion in January of this year and enjoyed it. One of the wranglers did get hurt during rodeo but was able to finish the show. He was squashed into the wooden boards by the bull . You get a drink and lunch included. If you don't want to go horseback riding, you can ride in wagon with the riders thru village , where you can taste fruits from a small farm and visit a small school.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: King ranch excursion

I went on the King Ranch excursion in Feb of this year and, besides Playa Bonito, it was the best. It started with a 35-40 minute bus ride to the ranch with a rep from the tour company narrating all the way (very informative). At the ranch you are treated to a rodeo (bull riding, steer wrestling, etc) - the coybows are all off the ranch and it is a working ranch. You then go on a horse back ride (or in the back of a wagon for the more TENDER souls) and spend some time fishing in a local river for talapia. Back on the horses and off to the local village, which only exists to service the ranch. Lots of narration along the way, the host is fluent in english, loves to answer questions and has a wicked sense of humour. At the village you get to spend time in one of the homes, see how they live, cook, eat, etc. Then over to the local elementary school to see the kids in action. Then back on the horses and over to the visitor center for an excellent lunch of beef (of course). Then back to the resort in time for a dip and a drink before supper. I cannot recommend this excursion enough!!

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: King ranch excursion

Thanks Psyclone, You've definitely tweaked my interest!

Thank you so much!

Oakville
Level Contributor
327 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: King ranch excursion

Hi thanks, mine too...my hubby would NOT go on the horseback ride but knowing there is a wagon ride also would be great...our daughter is 10 so I think it would be fun for her too. Now I just have to book the trip back so I can look forward to this excursion too haha :)

9. Re: King ranch excursion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 11:18