We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchanging money

Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
exchanging money

Hi All

First time to Cuba May 14-21. I have a question concerning exchanging Canadian money into the CCP. Is it better to try and do this at the airport when you arrive?? Is there time then??? Can you do this at the hotel (Club Amigo Carisol los Corales)??? Can you tip in canadian currency or does it have to be the CCP. Thanks!

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Santiago de Cuba
Level Contributor
3,205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: exchanging money

Hola dreamingCanada, Welcome to Cuba! If you do have time you can exchange a small amount of your money into CUC's at the Cadeca at the airport. You will find it on the left handside once you exit the airport. You should not tip in Canadian coins. All tipping should be done in CUC's. The rest of your money you can exchange as needed at Los Corales. Enjoy your stay at Los Corales and Santiago de Cuba. CQ :))))

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Santiago de Cuba
Level Contributor
3,205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: exchanging money

What I would suggest, that if you are not travelling alone.......that once out of the airport one of you lines up at the Cadeca and the other stays with the luggage and sees what bus you are on. They will not leave without you.

Also, take enough cash if you are planning to take excursions as they do not accept credit cards. Must be paid in cash. CQ :))))

Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: exchanging money

Thanks so much QC for your quick reply and helpful info !!!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: exchanging money

dreamingCanada:

We just got back from a fantastic stay at Los Corales. This resort will be closing as of May 6th & not reopening until early November. The last guests arrived at this resort on Sun April 22nd, with no more than 2 weeks stay. There are now less than 30 rooms booked at Los Corales. Anyone who has booked Carisol Los Corales will now be moved to Club Amigo Bucanero. (Bucanero is now finalizing a change from a Gran Caribe resort to a Club Amigo resort). We spent 2 days at Bucanero while in Santiago, and yes, there is a Cadeca at Bucanero where you can exchange your Cdn dollars for CUC's. The exchange rate is around $100 Cdn giving you $96-$97 CUC's. I am sure you will love Bucanero as much as we did. Amenities are much the same as Carisol Los Corales, with the exception of a much smaller beach area.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to PM me. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Santiago de Cuba
Level Contributor
3,205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: exchanging money

My pleasure! What I should also mention that you do not need to tip any more then 1 CUC so make sure when changing at the airport that they give you some 1 CUC 's. CQ :))))

6. Re: exchanging money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 01:15