We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunwing delays - is this common?

Windsor, Canada
12 posts
Save Topic
Sunwing delays - is this common?

This past Thursday the Sunwing flight from Windsor to Varadero was delayed 19 hours. Part of the delay was due to fog (5-6 hours) but also delayed on mechanical issues of the jet. In the end everyone would have missed a full day of their vacation. I'm just wondering if this is a common problem with Sunwing? Would Sunwing refund passenger's due to a Mechanical problem. The average price for 1 day in cuba would amount to about $500 per couple.

Mentioned in this post
86 replies to this topic
Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunwing delays - is this common?

Where are you staying for $250. pp a day? I know I am cheap but we pay approx. $800 per week and that's flight included from the west coast.

But yes flight delays are common with all carriers through the winter months. In past experience, you may get a travel voucher from Sunwing for less than $100. each.

Mike :)

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunwing delays - is this common?

"The average price for 1 day in cuba would amount to about $500 per couple."

Really? Sounds more like the average price for a week for one person, but never mind.....

Delays aren't super common but do happen. Usually one hears about them when someone is inconvenienced and complains on this board or to the media, ignoring all the many flights that depart and arrive on time. A delay due to weather is obviously completely out of the control of the air carrier. Mechanical difficulties? I would prefer the delay to a catastrophic crash. With that long a delay the carrier or tour operator may indeed offer compensation, but is not obliged to do so.

" Sunwing does not accept responsibility for lost wages, missed holiday time or any other additional expenses incurred as a result of changes in flight times. " https:/…terms-and-conditions

I believe all air carriers have similar terms and conditions.....

Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunwing delays - is this common?

It's a risk you take. For every person that lost a day of their trip , another person got an extra day for free. Maybe 1 day , you will be one of the ones who gets a bonus day , and probably won't be complaining. The 5 - 6 hour fog delay would have affected all carriers equally. The "mechanical delay" likely was due to the pilots exceeding their on duty time. It's not like there is an extra crew waiting in every city just in case. There is not an extra aircraft either. If the airlines had redundant aircraft and crew on standby at all times , air travel would be priced right out of reach for most people.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunwing delays - is this common?

in the fine print on etecket i don't i think so , there not responsible delays, but the will give you 20$ for food at the airport

Edited: 17 February 2018, 13:56
Alberta
Level Contributor
5,022 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunwing delays - is this common?

A couple of hours is one thing but with 19 hrs you should be compensated.

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunwing delays - is this common?

Lol .... your compensation is the 20 food voucher

Johnny C

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunwing delays - is this common?

Hi! We have flown with Sunwing from Regina to Varedero a few times and have never had any problems. We had a way worse flight eith WestJet. Don't let this experience prevent you from travelling with them again.

8. Re: Sunwing delays - is this common?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2018, 16:46

9. Re: Sunwing delays - is this common?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2018, 16:53

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunwing delays - is this common?

If trip interruption is part of your insurance package you purchased, then you can put in a claim with them. We had missed a day of our vacay last year and the insurance compensated us no problem!

Reply to: Sunwing delays - is this common?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted